Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Bought a jeep last night!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bought a jeep last night!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenc80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Bought a jeep last night! Reply with quote

After a long search I ended up buying an M38A1 from a fellow WillysMJeep member (Beacher) in Spartanburg, SC last night.

If Wes would be so kind as to fire me up an album I'll load some pictures!

Looking forward to joining the community!

Ken
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Welcome to the club Ken! Glad to see another (fairly close) South Carolina member here. Is this your first military Jeep?
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kenc80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man, yeah its my first MV. Pretty pumped. Its listed as a 62 USMC A1 but I dont think its actually a USMC. Its pretty much a frankenjeep but it looks great. Painted battleship grey at the moment. Hoping to take her back to OD but I'll ride with the navy colors for a bit Smile

Been meaning to ask you how your new deuce is doing. havent looked at your blog in a while. Did it make it to Steel Soldiers or did you just take the jeep?
Beacher425

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take good care of the Gray Lady!! Glad to see you made it home OK in the dark. Please feel free to post any and all comments on what you find as you progress with your project. Don't hold back on anything you are not satisfied with or feel that I did incorrectly when I was working on the jeep. I will not take anything personally, and hearing what I did wrong or could have done better will make me a better amature rebuilder in the long run. I am casually looking for a Willys pickup with the flat 6 engine anywhere nearby on Craigs List and ebay. So pass on any leads you hear about.

I know its only rock and roll...................but I like it.
kenc80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Beacher! she's in good, albeit, uneducated hands Smile
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked all of the "normal" stuff to make sure it isn't a USMC model? Not a big deal if it isn't a "real" one - as long as you don't resell it as a real one. The normal person won't know the difference - or even care really. As long as it looks good, just drive and enjoy it! I am always surprised at the people (young and old) that will come up and talk about the Jeep when I stop (at almost every stop). Of course, my wife says the same thing about me too (I am fairly reserved as far as talking to people until it involves military vehicles - then she says I won't shut up!)!

Thanks for checking out my blog(s)! My bother and I did make it to the Georgia rally - stayed 4 days. We took the 'A1 and his Rzr. We had a great time - we showed the Jeep as well as put about 40 miles on her on the trails. No real problems with it, but did come back with some ideas for improvements (stuff to fix!). You ought to try to attend next year - or the one in Denton, NC in April. We need more smaller vehicles at the rallies - all of the smaller vehicles tend to cluster in the front of the pack together on the trails so that we don't have to run through the deep mud ruts left by the big trucks.

I had to stop work on the Deuce to get the Jeep ready for the rally. Plus, I was have trouble getting it insured, so I couldn't even get a tag to be able to drive it! During the rally, after getting to check out all of the Deuces (original and bobbed), my brother acquired the "Green Disease"! He started pushing me to get it up to his body shop so the guys can get to work on it. He cleared the schedule of the 2 guys that are going to be blasting and bobbing it last week! Oh yeah, I didn't mention that we are going to bob it with dual tires on the rear axle. We even acquired most of the parts to do the job (except for the tires and spring u bolts). Even bought 5 gal can of gear oil and axle seals. I spent all afternoon yesterday calling around for insurance - finally found that USAA can insure it through Progressive! I am getting ready to call Gulfway and a local guy back that didn't bother to call me back after getting my info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kenc80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Will, it may be a USMC but I sent Wes the pictures and he had some doubts.

Doesnt have the undercoating or the correct rear lifting shackle placements.

The rear shackles are also inside the bumperettes which seems odd to me.

Once I get the album up you can see. But I'm not looking to do a motor pool restore. Just want it to look as period accurate as it can and have fun driving it.

ken
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

Here's your album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album328&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

What email addy did you use when you sent me photos of the jeep. I am trying to locate them.

Beacher,

When you post anything that leans on your location to figure out it helps to have your location in the post. Most of us just went to our profile page and added our real first names, our model MV's owned in our signature blocks and location in the location block so that info is automatically included on every post.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
kenc80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, just emailed you at your centurytel account from my gmail account
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marines had their M38A1's procured for them by the Army Ordnance branch just like the Air force until 1954/55. Those jeeps had a "Responsible agency plate" marked "Ordnance" under the procurement block and "Marine Corp" under the "Depot Maintenance" block. The Marine jeeps procured in the 60's were contracted by the US Navy dept directly for the Marine and those "Responsible Agency" plates and Marines in both blocks.

Notice the difference in the rivets on the serial plate vs the other plates.

This is an NOS surplus USMC plate set from the early 50's. The gray plate was painted by me years ago.

Ken,
I would make sure that oil filter hose is not rubbing that waterpump pulley!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
kenc80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes what size file for pics would you prefer. <500kb right? <100?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 to 300 is fine for most general shots. When tiny detail is wanted then go to 500 to 600.

kenc80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is another shot of some of the wires.

Here Wes I believe when I first emailed you, you mentioned you were concerned about the missing grommet.

here is your quote:
There should be a grommet in the firewall hole that the red starter cable is passing thru. That cable if shorted to the bare metal edge will cost you dearly in repairs. The blue cable running from the alternator to the starter is the Armature or power supply lead. Even with so-called one wire alternators there should be a sense wire connected to the ignition switch. Judging by the two (Blue & Purple) wires from the coil to the distributor I’d guess he has a Pertronix point replacement kit installed. The other two 16 gauge wires connected to the starter solenoid are most likely for the start switch and accessory power distribution. The one used for accessory power should be at least 12 or 10 gauge. It should also have a fused link at the starter end.

Do you believe these issues are things I should remedy immediately?

Ken
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked out your album - that's a pretty good Jeep there! I would just drive it - worry about the details later. Don't worry though, that time will come a lot quicker than you think! I like the 12v - makes things much simpler (and cheaper) these days. $&%, a 24v spark plug is $13-18(each!) now! You can do a whole tuneup and oil change for what my plugs cost - being 12v with a Pertronix. I've been thinking about putting civi wires and plugs on mine.
kenc80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt! I really like it, it was 30 mins away and Beacher took really good care of it.

I have to admit, this clutch is way different than the Wrangler clutch I've driven before. Its super "close" between gears and I'm scared I'm going to "knee" it into reverse from 1,2 or 3. I think I'll just have to get the hang of it.

Tranny is much smoother than the wrangler I had before though and it purrs really nicely. there really is nothing quite like the sound of these willys motors. I already love it. Just got to get a feel for this 3 speed and the clutch release point.

If youre ever up my way in Greenville give me shout and come by and check it out.

Ken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: