Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Bell crank woes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bell crank woes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan_M

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the kit included the two dust seals. The dust seals, pinch bolt, bearings, and bearing sleeve were the same as what I removed but the sector shaft was different. With the shaft torqued down the bell crank would bind to the point it wouldn't move. I re-installed the old shaft and it works fine. The kit came from Walck's and was advertised as "Bell crank kit 7/8" 2A, 3A, 3B, CJ5/6, DJ, FC 150, M38, M38A1 up to 1966." There was no spring washer or boot included.

chrisk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See page 8 Photo Gallery,my album with name sinrisnekaf page 2 there are 2 photos on the bellcrank. Hopes this helps.

Note: The parts of the bellcrank M38 and M38A1 are equal to each other. Wink
Chris

[list=][/list]

Last edited by chrisk on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:57 am; edited 13 times in total
Ryan_M

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit in your picture appears very similar to the one I received from Walcks. It's impossible for me to tell if the sector shaft (large bolt) is the same dimension and proportions but it certainly looks like it - including the hole in the end for a cotter pin (original did not have cotter pin). The only obvious difference with your kit is the inclusion of that larger rubber seal/boot.

Edit: Your kit also does not include a spring washer. Where did that kit come from?.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is a CJ kit which can be used on the M38/M38A1 but you have to use the old bolt for the needed length.

You should check with MWM, AJP, Rapco & Ron Fitzpatrick military jeep parts for the correct new bolt, washer and rubber boot.
bolt (Shaft) - WO# 649219, ORD# 7375179, FSN 2530-00-737-5179
Washer, spring - WO# 801666, ORD# 7375177, FSN 5340-00-737-5177
Boot, rubber - WO# 801566, ORD# 7375180, FSN 5330-00-737-5180

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My M38 was assembled but I did look at a spare M38A1 frame I have and the raised collar that is smaller in diameter then the rest of the bracket pinch bolt area appears at both top & bottom ends and is machined into the steel. No bushing from Willys. I would guess the Cj's don't have the machined extended collar. This would account for the shaft length variation.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
cjohle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for drudging up this old thread, but I've run into the same thing on my M38a1 CDN.

Here's the difference, though - the old pivot shaft that came off of mine was the same length as the new one I ordered from kaiser willys and had the cotter pin hole at the top. I'm guessing someone had already installed a repair kit with that length of bolt.

The old bell crank had a lip that was machined out (not sure if after market or not) that went over the piece sticking out of the bottom of the bracket. Here's a pic of the old and new bell cranks (new on bottom of course):

Bottom line is - what is the solution? Can I use washers as a shim? I haven't found a bell crank that actually matches the old one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: