Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - clutch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

clutch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: clutch Reply with quote

I left Bretto a long and drawn out message on the same subject, but after searching through 7 pages of clutch questions here I realized I needed more info.

How do I determine clutch pedal free play? I removed the clutch inspection cover on top, and watched the throwout bearing while depressing the pedal. I am assuming free play is from the time the pedal is depressed until the bearing comes into contact with the three fingers. It will move prior, just does not touch anything. In a perfect world.

From the pedal at top, to when the bearing touches something inside the clutch was over 2-1/2" inches. It moved the bearing a little, but would not release the clutch.

I got under it, and my cable is threaded all the way into the clevis. There is no more adjustment there if I need to take up slack in the cable.

On the other side I do not have the rod bent at both ends. I have the rod with two clevis' on it. There was plenty of thread on the shaft end left there so I adjusted the free travel on that side. Am I wrong to assume that I can adjust it there versus the other side?

Anyway, now there is about 1-1/4" of pedal travel before the bearing comes into contact with the fingers. The clutch still does not release. I am able to start it in neutral/low, and slowly pull the gear shift into 1st, and it will drive. I could not do that before as I had the transfer in high and it stalled the motor.

I believe the cross shaft is aligned correctly.

I keep reading in the previous posts of clutches being stuck. How do I determine that being a possibility or something else?

Thanks Guys.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
capescw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Possible problem solution Reply with quote

On the M38, at least, the most common problem seems to be improper assembly of the cross-arm! The long arm belongs on the clutch side, the shorter arm on the pedal side.
1956-60 USAF Special Weapons Program
http://www.bill-capes.com/insanity - Updated 04/26/14
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will double check in the morning.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free play is measured at the pedal and is determined by depressing the pedal with your hand. You measure from full up to the point at which resistance is felt. The pedal will still have a lot more travel to go yet to release the clutch. As it says on page 233 of the M38 operator's manual 1 1/4" free play is correct.

As Bill mentions it is not uncommon for folks to get the cross shaft 180 degrees out. Little arm goes left and long arm goes right.

A truly stuck clutch disc will not release even though you can see the release bearing moving the pressure plate fingers. If this be the case then hook up a tow vehicle and before you start rolling put the tranny in 2nd and then tow the jeep with the pedal released. If she's still stuck then repeat the process but use a tow vehicle with a crash bumper on the back and start the engine then have your tow vehicle slow to a stop while you keep the jeep running in 2nd gear with the pedal in and the jeep tight against the rear bumper of the tow vehicle. If she still doesn't pop loose pull the tranny and the pressure plate.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information Wes. I have 1-1/4" travel before there is resistance. The bearing starts moving right away, but does not offer any resistance until I have pushed the pedal 1-1/4".

How much more should the bearing (and arms) move to release the clutch?

I can see the arms just start to move before the pedal fits the floor.

It is 34 and sleeting. I'll fortify myself and go have a look at that cross shaft.

Thanks again for the clarification.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can see the arms just start to move before the pedal fits the floor.

That tells me either your cross shaft is backwards or your release bearing is too short for your application.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the cross shaft.

Left bracket is approx 1-1/2" center of pin to center of shaft.

Right bracket is approx 2" center of pin to center of shaft. Definitely longer than the left side.

Also note. The right side clevis is threaded all the way onto the shaft, and the left side has a clevis as well. There is additional adjustment available on that side.

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album372/both_brackets.jpg

Question. Being two clevises, one on each side, is it possible to have them both out of adjustment somehow and the 1-1/4" free play measurement at the pedal be correct, and the clutch still not release? I.e., is that extra clevis and adjustment screwing with the original geometry?

Now a poor photo through the inspection plate looking straight down at the throwout bearing. Looks like the release arm is worn, and there is quite a gap between it and the bearing.

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album372/Clutch.jpg

How far does the arm have to move?

Tks,
Brian
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking out loud. Maybe I need to adjust that left shaft to total length of the original OEM rod bent at both ends, then go to the right side and start over.

Right now I have no idea where I am.

Does that make sense?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those extra clevises on the pedal to cross shaft rod were added to compensate for problems , usually wear, as a shortcut or circumnavigating proper repairs. My M38 is in storage now so we need one of the folks to measure the length of their stock rod so you can get that part of your pedal geometry where it belongs.

4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes,
I am thinking correctly? Set that rod length first before anything else?

Tks,
Brian
RICKG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
need one of the folks to measure the length of their stock rod so you can get that part of your pedal geometry where it belongs.

]

I should be able to help w/that this pm..
Bretto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your clutch picture (hard to see) it looks like you say, the bearing is not touching the finger and it almost looks like a burr is present like it has been worn. Are the other finger like this? Perhaps that release bearing is seized and the fingers were taking on the task of the bearing, wearing them away. You should be able to reach in and spin the bearing by hand, engine off of course.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a burr on the finger. I think it is a result of somebody riding around all day with their foot on the clutch. All day, every day, forever. I suspect the other two are the same. There is wear on the front of the bearing as well if you look closely.

I took off the cover to set the free play. When I depress the clutch pedal the bearing moves forward. Once I take up the 1-1/4" I set the other day, I can hear it click, so it is contacting the fingers, and the pedal becomes more firm. From that point it still moves forward, but apparently not enough to release the bearing. If the fingers are excessively work as is the front of the bearing, it may have to go further from spec, correct?
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In between chilly and nasty weather a sunny and 60's
day provided quite a bit of information.

Began by measuring the double clevis clutch pedal rod on
the left. Almost 10-3/4 inches overall, spot on to the Omix/
Ada bent rod replacement I found on EBay. That was the good
news. Both mounts (tangs) as well as the one on the transfer case side
had worn holes that measured at least 1/16 to 1/8" of slop.
Accumulative wobble has to be bad.

I pulled the inspection plate. Sunshine instead of cloudy weather
provided for better conditions for looking at the release bearing.
I was able to reach in and grab the bearing. It moves back and
forth freely, and wobbles on the shaft, and metal particles
are visible around it. Obviously the bearing is shot and is the major
cause of the clutch not releasing. So a tear down and replacement
is coming.

The second project was hooking up the replacement emergency
brake parts. I had thought of buying a couple of cable end clamps
but made one and bought a cheap one for the upper end.
The one I made worked fine on the transmission end but the
other one would not hold. I will be ordering two replacements
as well as the wire spring extension that hooks to the frame
mount. Lesson learned. For want of a shoe.....

So. Feather day in the words of the old fox, but much info
was obtained, and a lot from board members as usual.

My best wishes for all of you for the New Year.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: