Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - What did the military pay for Jeeps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did the military pay for Jeeps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
53Jeep

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: What did the military pay for Jeeps? Reply with quote

Anyone have any information on what the military paid for Jeeps during the various years? And for the different models (MB, GPW, M38, M38A1, etc.).

I found one web site that said "In 1941 the Army paid $740 each for the first Jeeps".

Also what did the military sell Jeeps for at surplus auctions? I've heard of someone's father buying a railroad boxcar of new Jeeps for $5000 back in 1946.
PeteL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - here we go! Everyone has heard of the $50 Jeeps, still packed in Cosmoline, or the warehouses full of them discovered in Guam, etc.

I have a lot of fun when people ask me about my '53 M38A1C, saying I answered one of those "surplus" ads in the back of Popular Mechanics and all I had to do was wipe the cosmoline off and put air in the tires... Everyone wants a military Jeep, but somehow they rapidly lose interest when I disclose they are widely available for half the price of an ATV.

Anyway, at the risk of starting a bull session, here is a true story...

In 1945/46 my father was an officer on a LSM (landing ship,medium) in Japan. I have pictures of him and his Jeep in the ruins of Hiroshima.

One of their jobs during the Occupation, after Japan's surrender, was dumping excess Jeeps into the ocean, by the shipload.

He took one back to San Francisco, then when discharged from the Navy began driving it home to the East Coast. Somewhere around about Chicago he was challenged, and lost the Jeep and was nearly court-martialed. Trying to explain that the Navy was throwing them away probably didn't help much.

It was over twenty years later before he managed to buy a worn-out CJ5, and he was still upset about losing the first one. I was sixteeen, and I've been driving Jeeps ever since. My Dad had a Jeep YJ when he died this year.

I think many surplus vehicles were sold or given to foreign governments. In this country some surplus Jeeps were "loaned" to Fire Departments, Civil Air Patrol, etc. I bought mine from a CAP auction for $1300 in 1986.

Pete
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the number I recall for the M38 was around $2400.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
easters17

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know the price of Jeeps originally but have a look at this link and you can see what it cost us over here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4970720.stm

Now that is what I call a debt well worth having

Visit HMVF TV, the only Historic Military Vehicle Video site on the web. http://www.hmvftv.com
Powermwt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an invoice from the Navy (Disposal Branch) out of Port Hueneme, California dated 9-21-53 for three jeeps sold as surplus.

Willys, 1942, MB $429.01
Willys, 1944, MB $325.91
Ford, 1943, GPW $375.91

There is also a letter from the Navy to the new owner replying to the concerns on the registration fees needed paying based on the on the price paid, not the year or condition… basically saying he needed to take the issue up with the DMV.

As far as new GPWs, there is a whole article in AAW #1 that goes into detail on how much the GP and GPW cost the Government... varied from around $1000 down to $ 815 less $50 if payment was made within 30 days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: