Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Professional Restorations shops?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Professional Restorations shops?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GIJOE290

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Professional Restorations shops? Reply with quote

Please don't beat me up over this post. Embarassed

I never intended to restore my jeep myself. Why did I join here then you ask? To basically to learn and to make friends.

While I do have basic mechanical understanding, I do not have the tools, time or superior techicinal knowledge like ya'll to take on such a project as a restoration.

>> I commend you guys for doing so. Cool Cool Cool And it show's in the after photo's you post.

What I had always planned on doing was the maintenance & upkeep on it AFTER the restoration was done, which would cover my skill set very well.

My jeep has sat since coming home to Orlando late 2003, and I barely got to run it when I purchased it in 2002 in DFW. It needs too much work just to get it to a basic driving level.

I can't stand it anymore. Mad 2006 HAS to be the year in which it gets restored or I'm selling it.

So what I'm asking is, does anyone know of a professional restoration shop that you could recommend? Preferably in or near FLA. The man I wanted to go to, I guess is too busy and is no longer returning my e-mail’s. I've waited long enough.

Or, if ya'll could suggest different options, I'm open to them. I'm hoping that while I'm in Dayton I'll find people to talk to about it.

Thanks for listening. Smile
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Restoration Begins Summer 2005! ...Er Maybe 2006? 2010? 2015? 202...?
m38olddog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any need for you to make apologies, David. Heck, the reason it took me so long to find my A1 was because I don't do body work, can't weld, and have never rebuilt an engine. I had to keep looking until I found a jeep that didn't need much work in those areas. Wrench-turning, parts replacing, tinkering and maintenance are what I like to do, and the A1 I finally found was perfect for that. I'll bet that those who have actually done a full-blown restoration all by themselves are few. Just about all of us mere mortals have our limitations and have to farm out some of the work. I hope you're lucky enough to find an honest and reliable soul to help you out with the Green Goat. Good luck! Very Happy

Dave
M38A1 2/55, MD81433, U.S. ARMY 2A3514
M100 Dunbar Kapple, ?/51, #15122
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Keep your chin up! Very Happy

I bet you can find some contacts in Dayton. Have you looked up your local MVPA club?

That is where I would start. Surley there is someone down in your area that works on military jeeps.
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly understandable what you're going through David. I restored my entire M38A1 and it took me way too many hours to count (My dad was guestimating somewhere around 1,500 over the course of 18 months)...A lot of people don't have that time. Now plenty of that time is learning (welding, body work, etc). But I did everything myself - from the engine rebuild to the painting to the assembly. Which, needless to say, is a lot. I'm fortunate enough that this year wasn't too stressful on me as far as school went.

I'm obviously many many miles from you, so I can't really help you as far as finding a place in Florida -- but if there are any MV vendors down that way, I'd check them out. They'd probably restore your jeep. For example, Ive been over to Army Jeep Parts and Daryl Bensingers up here and they're always working on customers jeeps. I believe Darryl said his rate was 45$/hour. But I could be wrong.

I'd second Ryan. Ask for local club and see if they know anyone. I'm sure plenty of MVers down your way have been in the same situation you are in.
GIJOE290

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Yeah, in the back of my mind I know these things were made to be worked on by (sorry lack of better wording) an "average joe" who can read a manual. But I know I would be WAY in over my head do it alone without some guidance & help. Maybe when I'm retired I'll take on such a project... I'm sure I'll run into an honest shop someplace, Thank you!

Ryan, I'm trying to keep chipper. Great advice, Thanks! I had forgotten all about the local club, I'd best join back up... lol.

Bob based on the hour amount and time you invested...That would mean you have $67,500.00 in Labor alone in your jeep! Shocked Holy Mole! All kidding aside, what a neat & great project to work on with your dad, and I believe he's got (if I recall correctly) some history with the jeep as well that's an added bonus in itself. I liked seeing the progress that you posted on it. I'll check around at the MV dealers, even those not in/near Florida, and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the tip!

I really do have to hand it to you guys (& gal's - Go Wendy) on working on your MV's as a hobby & for fun. Seeing the struggle, pain and the reward of accomplishment that you’ve been through, as been interesting & fun to watch. I really would have liked to have done it, (service folks might recall) if there was a civilian version of the "Hobby Shop", where you could rent a bay, tools, get advice, paint booth, etc.. Now THAT would have been COOL and would have done it! Cool

Guys, I really appreciate the replies & support. Thank you! Very Happy

I'll keep ya’ll posted.

Wes, Ryan, Great Website Thanks for hosting it!! Cool
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I guess so.
But I doubt you would have to spend that much time on yours. Mine was in pretty sorry shape. Definitally not the worst Ive seen, but I've seen tubs in better condition than mine scraped for repro. 25 years just sitting in a salt water environment did its toll for sure.

Being in High School, I really didnt have the money to just get new parts when I felt like it. So many of the original parts that probably should have been thrown out had be saved to be rebuilt.

I spent about 8,000$ on my jeep. I probably could have cut that back a lot (by buying from different vendors) as most of my parts were from Army Jeep Parts here in Bristol and Midwest. But I definitally dropped most of that at AJP. George is a little more expensive than everyone else it seems like, but I have never ever been disappointed by any of his stuff. Never had a problem with any of it. Period. John at Midwest too has good stuff, but Im only 45min-1hr from AJP -- which let me avoid the shipping charges.

A shop like AJP definitally wouldnt spend 1,500 hours on your jeep. They already have the knowledge and expertise to work on cars --- and theyre sure as $&% not going to make an ugly part good again like I did.
GIJOE290

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say, has anyone heard of Mike Scholer Restorations and seen any of his work? He's near Tampa, FL.

Please PM or Email anything you know to me.

Thank you.

Smile
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave!

Any luck finding someone?
GIJOE290

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi'ya Bob,

Thanks for asking. I haven't looked much further since my last post. I going to visit his shop and ask more questions. I got a couple of good recommondations about him. And in my call to him he said he could take my jeep in the fall, which is right around the corner. So, I'm hopeful. Smile

And I've been focused on my flying lesson's. I'm getting close to my first solo, maybe in the couple of weeks... Yee-Ha. Mr. Green
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLYING!! Now that brings back some fun memories.
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my first solo pretty well. Went around the traffic pattern once, the instructor got out, and I taxied over and firewalled it. As soon as I was airborne, I looked over to the right seat to see no one sitting there. I can clearly remember thinking "Oh $hit!"

But it really wasnt a big deal. Not for me, anyway. My mom almost had a heart attack when she learned "solo" meant flying without anyone else, not flying with the instructor - but him not touching the controls.
GIJOE290

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, don't keep us in suspense! Tell us about your flying! Very Happy

Bob, I knew you were a pilot, it was on your aviatar. How long have you had your license? Any interesting aventures you's had. Very Happy

My flying's coming along real good. But you know learning don't come easy at my age, dam book work is killing me... I get a headache from reading. Embarassed And I have a case of "mike fright"... Rolling Eyes

Any wisdom ya'll want to share?! Wink
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Last edited by GIJOE290 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having flown as a flight mechanic and crew chief for over 20 years in the Army & The USAF I was bored with it and honestly didn't care to strap in any civilian rig after wearing a flying helmut for 6 to 8 hours at a time. But after I retired I decided it was time for me to get a private ticket it was a great idea and there's very little else compares to sitting alone in the left seat. (fixed wing) or right seat (Rotary wing).

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
GIJOE290

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, is a pilot too?!?! Smile Cool

So Cool! Cool Cool Cool
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't get back to this thread. forgot all about it.
My flying days!! Ok, Single engine, land, commercial, and IFR rating.
I flew a Cessna 150, American Grumman trainer, Cessna 172, and Piper Commanche 180.
A short story:
It was in the middle seventies before the Arab oil crunch. I think I was around 26years old. I sort of got lost on my first solo long cross country. It was bad visibility that summer day. I was flying by time and compass. I couldn't locate the first airport where I was to do a touch and go. Instead I ended up in restricted area over Ft. Polk and just below me I saw a Jet bombing a target and cloud of smoke. I knew exacly where I was at that point so I proceeded in the compass diresction of the next airport where I was to land and fill up.
Before I took off that morning, the instructor told me that he had been up in the plane with a student that morning for .9 of an hour, and I should have enough gas to do a touch an go at first airport then continue on to the next airport, land and fill up.
I had 2 gals of gas left when I landed at 2nd leg airport. I was flying an American Grumman Trainer which held 22 gallons usable. After topping it off at 2nd leg airport it came to 20 gals to fill her up. I had to file another flight plan for the last leg. I was so shook up when I took off from there that I turned to 168 degrees toward the Gulf of Mexico instead of 268 degrees. After awhile I found my mistake and made necessary corrections.
I learned a whole lot on that day. I never got lost again. It wasn't funny that day but have laughed a lot about it since.
I went on to finish the private pilot coarse. then went into the commercial rating traning. And last IFR. It has been along time since I last flew a plane. It was expensive, and I was struggling to make ends meet and raise a family. So I quit. Now I am retired and restoring a jeep.
So GIJoe, the moral here is,
Do not take anyones word about how much gas is or should be in the tanks.
If I had of found that first airport like I was suppose to and did that touch and go, I probably would not have had enough gas to finish the 2nd leg.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: