Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 rebuild - Idaho
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 rebuild - Idaho
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaceM38

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: M38 rebuild - Idaho Reply with quote

Hey guys I am new to this forum and jeeps in general (though I have always wanted one). To make a long story short I am rebuilding my dads old 1952 M38. It has 98% of the original parts including the original motor, transmission and 24v electrical system. It has spent the last 30 years forgotten behind a barn. Despite this it is in remarkably good condition with only surface rust. Heck the engine still turns and the tires still hold air.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated as my goal is to make this into a somewhat daily driver.
bobatwarsaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you would, post all the pictures that you can, so all can
what your are working with
thanks bob,

also welcome m jeeps
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you have established your goal to make it a daily driver. That means you will need all the systems functioning and legal for use on the road. So step one is get her running enough to drive on the farm. Give her a well documented shakedown cruise. List every defect you find.

Next photograph the jeep with a good 10 feet away set of all 4 side views. A full view of the engine area front, left and right. A detailed closeup of the dash. A few to cover the interior. A few to show the underside's condition. Now load them to your photo album.

Then come back here and post your discrepency list and the link to your photo album.

Your album is here: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album353&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

A tutorial on how to load photos is here: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album53&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RICKG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so where the heck in Idaho are you? I'm just north-west
of Twin Falls in the Buhl-Hagerman area. If I can be of help
just holler!!

Do yourself a big favor and post your location and model
jeep you're working on @ the signature area of your profile.
You might be surprised to find a guy with parts and advice
right in your own backyard. Wink
JaceM38

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am located in Pocatello. Also I have uploaded a bunch of pics (still working on getting some of the underside.

Photo Gallery

Also I know that I need to replace the wiring through out the whole jeep and I want to replace the old cloth covered wires with a more modern wiring. An suggestions?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a lot of fabric covered wire in your photos.

Of interest in this photo is your metal tube waterpump bypass on the water pump. I have seen these and references to them before.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JaceM38

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know all of the wiring that is present on the jeep is the original wiring. The only ones that I am not sure off is the spark plug wiring. Most of the wiring that is visible appears to have been repaired using electrical tape and is badly frayed with larges sections of bar wire. I also have removed all of the wiring from the grill assembly which was mostly down to bare wiring. I should also mention that while I am missing the parts for it my jeep was originally set up for fording so the system was sealed.

I will try to get some more pictures of the wiring up soon so that I can hopefully get going in the right direction.

Out of curiosity what makes the metal tube waterpump bypass interesting? I am really new to this and am still trying to learn about this engine and jeep.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only seen a couple of photos with it and I recall only a single written reference to it. I am still looking for that old reference. The service and parts manual all show two hose nipples with pipe threads and a short 90 degree hose.

I believe the current replacement wiring harnesses are now over $700. With a couple of 100 foot roles of 16 & 14 gauge rolls of plain black wire and electrical tape you build a very good look alike harness on your own. The original harness was wrapped with electrician's tape.

Xamon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if it applies to the US versions but on my Canadian the sections passing through sheet metal, grommets, or clips was cloth wrapped over the rubber insulation.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those may have been applied in the field. Were the cloth segments wrapped around only the insulated wires or around the electrician's tape which already sealed up the insulated wires? Did the cloth have a electrician's tape over it?

JaceM38

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good to know about the original wiring. I am a little leery of trying to make my own wire harness. I am also not really that concerned about it keeping it 100% "authentic" I would really like to replace the old connectors with modern ones while keeping it as a 24v system. I want to also be able to add things like turn signals etc.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intimidating part of wiring a 24 volt military vehicle is you must learn to use wires that are all the same color (black) and learn to work with the numbers. If you are not concerned with resto award winning and are not interested in paying over $700 for a new harness then make your own.

The wiring diagrams have very good detail and I have already posted in my photo album the adaptations needed for the various types of turn signal setups.

The professional harness builder makes a prototype loom then builds all his subsequent harnesses on the loom. I have built my own custom harnesses for the last 50 years. Both colored wire civvy and all black military. I build them right in the vehicle. I prefer not to use the metal Douglas connectors because they are prone to shorting out on themselves occasionally. I prefer to use the later and current all rubber Packard connector system. You can find these electrical connectors almost at every vendor.

But lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. Start with a dream sheet. Write everything down that you want on your jeep. Include all electrical items both standard and custom. Don't forget the generating system you intend to use. Now print enlarged, easy to read copies of the wiring diagrams you intend to use. Using a pencil mark and draw everything you want to add or change right on the wiring diagram. Study my modified wiring diagrams closely. Make the necessary adjustments to fit your needs. Decide on which front and rear light assemblies that accommodate turn signals you will be using early on. If you have your complete old harness then you must decide how you prefer to build your new harness. You can lay the old harness out on a wood table or sheet of plywood and tack it taughtly in place then fashion the lengths of new wire to match the lengths of the corresponding wires in the old harness. Any new custom unit wires you will have to leave enough working length to make sure they reach the new unit and don't finish the ends of the cables with the terminals until you have the new harness fitted in the jeep.

Remember, depending on how much of the stck equipment you are keeping yo will need to repin some of those big old military plugs. Not a daunting task and TM 9-1825E covers it.

So start sorting out in your head what you want to do electrically with your jeep.

Xamon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not have a lot of the wiring harness left to be honest, just under the dash and bits near the headlights really. The cloth was the same as on the brake lines and was just loose on the wires. I do not remember seeing any tape except on the blackout light. I went hunting through my pictures, not many of the wires, what I can see are pretty hacked up though(lots of red and yellow)
JaceM38

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am pretty lucky then because from what I can tell I have the full wiring harness for my M38 the wires are just so old and worn that they need to be replaced
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my jeep was pretty abused, used for pulling ice fishing huts for 40 years or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: