Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Wiring Harness Repair
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiring Harness Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaceM38

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Wiring Harness Repair Reply with quote

So I have been looking at replacing the wiring harness for my M38 by building my own since I cant afford the 800 for a per-built one. However as I have been taking more of the original harness out I have noticed that there is a good portion of it that is in decent shape (the wires seem sound but all of the insulation has rotted off). Is there anyway of repairing what is there? I thought of just re wrapping all the bare wires with electrical tape but Im not sure if that is the right way of doing it.
RICKG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Harness Repair Reply with quote

JaceM38 wrote:
I thought of just re wrapping all the bare wires with electrical tape but Im not sure if that is the right way of doing it.

SNAKEBITE!!
Xamon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTV would be better than tape in my opinion, not to mention easier to apply. not sure how practical that is though as materials would get quite costly.
JaceM38

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick what would your suggestion be? If I am going to do this I want to make sure I do it right
RICKG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early in your jeep project thread we discussed building harness from scratch. If as you say your old harness is complete but bare you have an advantage as you can use the old harness as a template. Each wire has a metal tag on each end with the wire #. You can begin building a loom that matches the old unit all the while carefully marking the wire# on each end of each new wire. Reuse the metal parts from your douglas connectors or change to more easily worked packards, the options are endless. Great wiring diagrams are here on this website for the taking. As wire harness goes the M-38 harness is purty straightforward. If you're not worried about authenticity you can get fresh run 14ga black (or any color if you decide to color code a harness) from any electrical supply house by the foot off the roll. Repairing failing harness will have you chasing shorts, running down batts and wondering where that smoke and sizzling bacon sound is coming from. An additional benefit is you will learn and know which wire went where and why. You can do it!!
chrisk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible answer to your question:
Remove the terminal from the end of the wire.
Build up the bare wires with Heat Shrink Tube insulation multilayer to the external diameter of the original insulation and finally a Heat Shrink Tube that you slide a piece over the original insulation.
The end of the terminal drill it out and solder the wire back into the terminal.
Chris
JaceM38

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, I'm definitely intimidated by trying to build a harness my self but I want to make sure I do this project right. I will probably be asking many more stupid questions thanks for the help.
RICKG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also find a few of the sub-harnesses that you'll need from some of the guys here on the forum. For example I have a spare 5-wire spider for the rear of the inst panel just lookin for a loving home..
DJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the insulation is gone there is a good possibility some of the strands of wire are broken. My opinion(2 cents worth) is spring for new wiring either a complete harness or a homemade one with new wires. The old adage" pay now or pay later" could very well apply. New wires of your choice vs watching your jeep burn. They are mostly steel, but there is still enough to make a pretty sad looking mess.
BullRun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://eriksmilitarysurplus.com/coandte.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: