Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Cranky Jeep
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cranky Jeep

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrankenJeep

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Cranky Jeep Reply with quote

Ah well, you learn something everyday! My jeep was unreliable, hard to start, would "strand" me. I was afraid to take it out. So I laid off for awhile (tell ya the truth, I was "mad" at it so went dormant for awhile.

Got it back out after looking and looking and looking to find why it would quit without warning. Replaced every part I could imagine! Still die. Made me break my toe (OUCH! no, not that way, but a long story) Quit the last two Fridays and had to be hauled back on a rollback.

I "think* I found it. When it quit Friday afternoon, I got a friend to come over and help me--mainly by cranking it while I watched to see what was going on in the distributor. I was about 80% sure it was in there. No FIRE! AT all! Shocked
WHUT?????? Further examination showed not only no fire, but the points weren't moving!!!!!!! ????????????? Well, no wonder there's no fire! Discovered that they had moved so that the little "cam lobe" contactor was not touching the dist. shaft! Shocked I readjusted them so they touched the shaft, set the gap (was no need) and cranked it over. RRR_VROOOM!!! Very Happy
Humming like a Singer sewing machine! No "skip", no throttle hesitation, nothing but the hum of a Jeep!!! I let it sit and fast idle for almost an hour with no issues. Cranks like it should!

So a lesson learned. It "fooled" me at first because when I twiddled the points with a screwdriver, it would spark. But that tiny little gap where the little lobe wasn't touching wasn't evident because I couldn't be out there to see that they weren't being activated. Only when I had someone to help me could I see the problem. Next time this thing quits, this is something else on the list to check. *Somebody* didn't tighten down the points when he installed them and allowed them to gradually slip out of place. That explains the funky running!

Hope it lasts! Laughing
QCIM38A1

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar situation with my old M37, which uses a similar distributor. The truck just started spluttering, lost all power, and died in the middle of crossing a trench. No spark at the plugs, so I opened the distributor and found the rubbing block on the points had cracked off. Not opening at all. Sad

Another time it gave me no end of grief, it would start fine, then immediately start running like a bucket of bolts. I was getting very annoyed, but I happened to notice a metallic "tink" coming from the distributor. I took it all apart, and found that one of the springs for the centrifugal advance had broken, and as soon as it was running, the weights went all the way out. The "tink" was the spring hitting the inside of the housing.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually whenever you troubleshoot erratic ignition always check for loose parts. You don't need someone to crank it for you. Just open the hood, pull the distributor cap, push on the generator belts while turning the fan in it's normal direction and watch the points. You can set the rubbing block on the high point of the cam by rotating the engine by hand using the fan with a little hand pressure on the belts. Then once on the high point of the distributor cam you can grab the rotor and turn it several degrees against the centrifugal advance springs and let it pop back while watching the point motion.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
QCIM38A1

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, always check for spark at the plug wires, even if you have spark at the points. You can do this without a helper on the M38A1 or M37, just hold the plug wire about 1/8" or so from the block, with your right hand, while pulling the lever on the starter with your left hand. Of course, on the M37, your hands are reversed.... Anyway, always a good idea. Be careful that you don't shock yourself! It really wakes you up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: