Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 - Hard Starting When Cold
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 - Hard Starting When Cold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M606BR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: M38 - Hard Starting When Cold Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

It has been hard to start my M38 lately when cold. I need to crank it at least three times until it starts. I always follow the instructions from the manual: pull out throttle control 1" and pull choke control all the way out.

This morning, before cranking the engine, I removed the air horn of the carburetor in order to check how much fuel was in the bowl. The amount of fuel in the bowl measured between 1/2" to 3/4" from the bottom. I put some extra fuel into the bowl and cranked it, but once again I needed to crank it many times to start the engine.

Everytime when the engine is hot, it starts immediately. The only issue is the hard starting when cold. The engine always works fine after warm up.

Any guess on where to start troubleshooting it?

Thanks.
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to TM9-8014 Operation and Organizational Maintenance, Pg. 33 when starting the engine cold the choke is pulled completely out but the hand throttle is not touched. For the choking mechanism to work properly the throttle must not be opened. That may be part of your problem - leave the hand throttle closed and foot off the accelerator pedal until the jeep starts. The hand throttle can be used to keep revs up after starting to help warm the engine but you can use your foot as well. You also mention having to "crank it at least 3 times" until it starts. Although a well-tuned engine should pop right off the reality is that with these older engines we often have to crank a little longer - the manual says up to 30 seconds - before the engine springs to life. If you are having to crank it for 3 - 30 sec trys, it might be time to check out a few things - carb settings, fuel delivery, spark, timing, compression, etc. - to see where the problem might be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: