Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - generator, regulator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

generator, regulator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: generator, regulator Reply with quote

Over the years you learn how to check voltage on 24 volt systems One way Iv'e learned is to disconnect the negative battery cable next to the rad to check if the system is putting out , if it doesn't cut off its putting out or check the voltage with a meter. Mine is not putting out the correct voltage The question I have is will a M151 regulator work on a M38 same w/ the generator and how does one check each one Sunday I'll take to regulator off and put on a M151 and see if it puts out the correct voltage The jeep is alive and driving around the neighborhood Buzzz
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some systems breaking the battery circuit can often times damage sensitive electrical equipment. I would suggest a $30 digital voltmeter be added to your toolbox. Then you can check your systems operating voltage 10 times faster then taking the battery ground cable off with no risk to the equipment.

With M series vehicles try to ID electrical components by part numbers and ratings not vehicle models. There are at least 4 combinations of gen/alt/regulator used on the M38 and M38A1 that are also used on many other M series trucks including the M151. For example, don't try to use the regulator off a 60 amp system on a M151 on the 25 amp system on your M38. Or don't try using the regulator off the 100 amp M38A1 system on a 60 amp or 25 amp M151 system.

Open your parts manual and write down the model numbers of the applicable regulators for your jeep. Compare your numbers to the numbers on your jeep's regulator. There should be at least one match. Now before you borrow one from another M series truck read the model number on the regulator. There are four regulator model numbers that can be used on a 25 amp / 24V M38 or M38A1 system. Two auto-lite/prestolite, one Delco Remy and one Transistorized regulator made by three or four different manufacturers.

The expensive way to troubleshoot electrical systems is to use the plug and play system. In this system you either get extremely lucky and what you plug in works or you get extremely unlucky and you see smoke.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
buzzk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: reg Reply with quote

I have a meter its only putting out 12.2 volts no matter how I connect it I'l check the numbers to see if they match buzz
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You check system voltage from the cable on the battery that attaches to the starter switch and ground. If you use the other battery plus cable you will read only have the system voltage.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
buzzk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: voltage Reply with quote

Yes checked the # 2 battery buzz
buzzk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: regulator Reply with quote

O K The regulator I have is for a 24 volt system , neg ground The serial # are close 25 amp they both match as far as the specs buzz
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the part numbers for the two regulators? Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades!

buzzk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To late,It's already on the jeep Putting out 24.50 volts Buzz
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too early to brag. They should be putting out 28 volts!

buzzk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: regulator Reply with quote

yep I know I'll recheck tomorrow I have one more regulator in my stash thx Buzz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: