Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Igntiion switch testing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Igntiion switch testing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Igntiion switch testing Reply with quote

4x4m38 asked this question so I am sharing it here in the spirit of information sharing this site is set up for.

Quote:
I bought an ignition switch on Ebay with Douglas connectors. The wire insulation is surprisingly resilient and in decent shape. It looks like there was resin or some sort of epoxy material which enclosed the connections on the back of the switch. It was badly cracked and split in may places. I was able to take a pair of water pump pliers and apply pressure, splitting and cracking the insulation material further, which allowed me to get it all off.

The terminals and soldering on the wires is tight, with no corrosion, other than some light surface rust which should be able to be cleaned off with a wire brush or something. I know there is a pinout on one of the pages here for the headlight switch and hopefully the ignition switch as well.

My question is what would I go back with to reinsulate the terminal connections when I get to that point? Do I just make a round container a little larger than the switch and contacts and pour it full of epoxy?

My answer:
Quote:
Brian,

The failed potting compound is common to very old switches. Sometimes cleaning up and re-potting works fine. Sometimes not. Risk is 50/50.

The compound you choose is up to you and your preference in materials and colors. Just google it:
https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app&gws_rd=ssl#q=electrical+potting+compound

Most Douglas connector switches only have two or three wires.

2 Wire switch
Using a digital ohm meter test the switch for internal shorts.

With switch off check across the two leads for continuity. Should be none.

Then check each lead to the switch's metal housing for continuity. Should be none.

Now turn the switch on and repeat the tests above.

The two leads should now show continuity.

There should not be continuity between either lead and the switch housing.

3 Wire switch

With switch off check across the three wires in pairs (two at a time for continuity. Takes three separate readings. There should be no continuity between one lead and the other two but the other two should have continuity. (the two leads which share continuity are then labeled 12 (ignition) & 86 (accessory)

Check each lead for continuity to the switch's metal housing. Should be none.

With switch on all three wires should share continuity but should not show any continuity with the switch housing.

A word of caution, you should understand that a wiring diagram lays wires out so they make sense or logic as to their purpose and route. The wiring diagram does not show the physical arrangement of the wires or connector.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the switch in question, part number 7760409.
The terminal for wire/connector 27 also has wire/connector 85 soldered to it.

The other two are 11 and 12 respectively.
85 is an accessory connection.

bbloom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to steal your thread, but Wes , I have an old 3 wire ignition switch like the picture you have posted with a wire broken off at the housing. Has anyone had sucess in taking that style apart and rewiring it? If so how do you open it up?
MVPA #1196

Photo Album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album327&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,
Is the wire broken off outside of the epoxy/potting material or are you saying the solder tab has broken off at the rivet connector to the back of the switch itself?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill that rt switch is not serviceable as is. It is a three terminal switch with 4 wires. #11, 12, 27, & 85 . That is either 11 or 12 that is broken of at the potting. The two together were 27 & 85. If you scrape out the potting you will see the three terminals solder lugs. Generally when they are in as bad a shape as those in my photo the interior of the switch and it's contacts are usually very worn and corroded.

The very older left switch with two wires the single connector wire is 11 and the double connector wire is 12. The double connector connected to #27 and #12.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bbloom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. 4x4 the wire is broken just like the picture of Wes's ignition switch above.
MVPA #1196

Photo Album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album327&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, on a slow day, and for a lark, you might try and remove the potting to see if the wire is rusted/broken off at the terminal or if the terminal and everything else inside is fried as Wes said.

My potting material was dried and cracked, and I took a pair of water pump pliers and squeezed it in places cracking it further, allowing me to eventually remove it all.

The green is not a good sign, and is a an indication of copper corrosion.
There is a slim chance the wire was broken in parts over time, and corroded, and the potting material may have kept it somewhat localized. The corrosion would have travelled through the wire into the potting, eventually to the terminal.

If it was me, and nothing else to do today, I'd crack it open and have a look.

Just my two cents.
Brian
bbloom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I had a slow day and was able to chip out all the old potting to get to the terminals that the wires were soldered on to. Have soldered on new wires. Now my questions is what was the potting material and what would be a suitable replacement in todays market?
MVPA #1196

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just google " Electrical equipment potting compounds " and pick your poison.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app&gws_rd=ssl#q=electrical+equipment+potting+compounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: