Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - '52 M38a1 upstate NY $6500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'52 M38a1 upstate NY $6500

View previous topic :: View next topic  
npd811

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: '52 M38a1 upstate NY $6500 Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct area, so correct me if I'm wrong. Not Mine, but I'm interested.
This was found on Binghamton, NY Craigslist, about 10 miles from my home.
I'm going to look at it, if the seller calls me back. No data plate photo, but the seller says its USMC, although homemade Army markings. I can see some modifications, but I have an untrained eye. I open to opinions so I don't get burned.

Seller says the Jeep came from Southern Georgia. Any board members know this vehicle?

Here's the link: http://binghamton.craigslist.org/cto/4531738332.html

And some photos:

kenc80

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks decent, at first blush, the only things I see missing is the BO light and pintle hook.

does have a split windshield but no wipers, does have slave receptacle. The markings are half-assed spraypaint and thats the WW2 invasion star which is obviously incorrect.

dash looks good, map box left of steering wheel. hard to say from pictures.

better minds than mine will have to determine whether it has the USMC reinforced rear crossmember and lifting shackles - i dont see them.

my guess is its probably an A1 but I'm not sure if its USMC or not.

Will defer to greater experts for further analysis oh and you need to see some shots of the engine and undercarriage.
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenc80 wrote:

dash looks good, map box left of steering wheel. hard to say from pictures.

Can see the map box on this photo

kenc80

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, good point rick.

NPD you should peruse the thread a few below yours of everyone getting a laugh at that OD'd CJ5 someone tried to pass off as an A1. Note the single windshield and obvious CJ5 body and tailgate along with a million other issues.

yours is definitely checking a lot more boxes than that one!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly appears to be an early M38A1. Up until 54 all M38A1's were procured by the Army. The Army was appointed by DOD to represent the other services for all tactical wheeled vehicles from 1948 through 54. This means the only way to prove that jeep was a USMC jeep is to produce the original dash data plate set or the SF99 certificate it was surplussed out on.

It appears to be an un-restored unit and is incomplete in electrical accessories like the Slave plug, trailer plug, BO Driving lamp. It does not have the standard Marine configuration which would include the modified rear crossmember with end mounted lift rings and the large round front lift rings.

The lack of any clear dash photos and underhood photos usually means not original or incomplete. Depending on condition and driveablility price would be somewhere between $3000 and $4500. If runs and drives well and all engine compartment is stock M38A1 then possibly as high as $5500.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
npd811

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, thank very much. I have been reading the threads and learning quite a bit. I also saw the comments on the OD green CJ with the round front bumper.

You so far have given me just the type of info I needed and was expecting.

Since this is my first post, allow me: I'm a retired Marine Tanker [SgtMaj] and currently a LEO. I've restored several police package cars - at least 6.
I have also collected/restored several Full Sized Jeep trucks; 1963, 1973, 1979 and currently have a 1982 J20 that was a former fire dept brush truck.

With the Police Package cars, I know the devil is hiding in the details. That's why I came here for some expert opinions. When I saw this Craigslist Jeep, so close to home, and reportedly a USMC, I knew I had to find some experts so I don't embarrass myself after purchase.

Thanks to all so far and others are more than welcome to chime in. I look forward to being on this forum for a long while.

If the seller ever calls me back, I check out the Jeep and post more detailed photos.
LWHill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to have an early GPW or CJ 2A full floating rear axles. Can't really tell.
RHarris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: U S navy Reply with quote

Wes, my 1953 M38a1 reads U S navy as agency. It also has the winch and winch plate on dash. were all of them army vehicles? R Harris
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your "Responsible Agency" plate is original then it says:
procurement - Ordnance
Depot - US Navy

This one is a straight Army M38A1

This is a 1952-54 USMC M38A1 plate. Army procured and USMC maintains/overhauls.

Late 50's/60's USMC contracts have only USMC or US Navy on them.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
npd811

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no call back. I've left two messages. Maybe it was sold?
npd811

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

npd811 wrote:
Still no call back. I've left two messages. Maybe it was sold?

Seller called me last night. He's a farmer - up early, works until sunset. Jeep still for sale. I'll be going later today and I'll post some photos.
npd811

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed on this one. Mainly because there were NO data plates and No patent plate. I have no doubt this is a M38A1. As to USMC, who knows? It did have undercoating. What I did notice was the angled fender crease indicating this is an early model. I drove it - the brakes need some work and there wasn't much left of the clutch. There was no fuel tank and was fed by a gas can behind the driver's seat. Over all, rough. But I believe it has been used as designed for many years. The owner was really nice guy, and truthful about everything. I asked about the rear axle and he had no clue what happened there. He is selling quite a bit of stuff so he can get some cash together to purchase a hay baler. I have more photos if anyone is interested. Thanks for your assistance, gentlemen. I'll keep looking.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: