Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Installing 6v generator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing 6v generator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
groundhog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Installing 6v generator Reply with quote

I own a 1951 M38, and have been restoring it for a couple of years. I had to change the front engine mount plate to an M38 plate when I installed a 1947 CJ2a engine. My question is, now that I am attempting to install the 6v generator (yes, I'm going with the CJ 6v), the generator bushing in the front engine mount plate sticks out the front and so the generator won't mount correctly. Should I trim off the front of the plate bushing so that the generator will set in correctly? And shouldn't the to rubber bushings go on the back sides?
45auto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not going to like where this leads. When it comes to jeeps, just about everything is interchangeable: however, you sometimes need to change over the entire assembly. This is what you need to do for everything to fit as it should.
The M38 front plate is differant as the generator mount is longer and requires a longer rubber bushing. The rear bracket that bolts to the block also uses the longer rubber bushing.
For the CJ 6V generator to fit correctly and for the belt to line up, you need to install the CJ2A front plate which uses the short rubber bushings along with a CJ2A rear bracket which also uses the short rubber bushings.
You can cut, hack and grind the parts you have and you may or may not get the correct fit. It would be better if you have the original parts to take measurements from. Either way, (modifying or installing original parts) it is not going to be easy.
For the work involved, I would recommend finding and installing the proper parts for a hassle free fit of all parts.
MVPA #6833
1945 GPW
1950 CJV-35/U
1951 M38 1952 M38
1962 USMC Contract M38A1
1953 Strick M100 1967 Johnson M416
1968 CJ5 4-Speed 1969 CJ5 V6
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Harold said the easiest path for you to use your 6 volt generator is to re-install the CJ2A front engine plate. If you are willing to run an M38 on 6 volt electrics then it's safe to assume you are not interested in maintaining an original factory M38 look. So your 2A front plate can be easily adapted to the M38's left forward oriented mount location using an extension plate. Or you could locate a CJ3A front engine mount plate which also came with a 6 volt generator. Personally for what appears to be a driver jeep I would not mess with 6 volt stuff at all and just add a 12 volt alternator, lamps and gauges. You can save grief on senders if you use mechanical coolant temp and oil pressure gauges. Here's a link to How to 12V alternator the old jeep! http://cj3b.info/Alternator.html

M38 front plate. 3A plate is similar but does not have the bump to accommodate the large stock M38 fuel pump.

This is the fuel pump bulge

Here's the simple aftermarket alternator mount bracket.

Here's the alternator installed.

Here's another

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
groundhog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for what I am sure is good advice. Your right, I didn't want to hear that. In fact I had to hunt down this M38 front plate and replace the timing gear (damage) already. I'll have to think about this one. I know what you're talking about; I just didn't want to have to do that much changing again. Thanks again.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't show your location Groundhog in your post or your signature or your profile. It helps a great deal to show that information. Often when a person see's you are close by they are more inclined to offer assistance when tough tasks like these arise.

If you are in a cold climate the 12 volt system will treat you much better then the 6 volt system.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: