Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - AN/VRC 16/17/18 in M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AN/VRC 16/17/18 in M38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanl3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: AN/VRC 16/17/18 in M38 Reply with quote

Were the above "old family" radio sets (Power Supply, Receiver-transmitter, Aux. Receiver) only mounted on an FT285 in place of the rear seat on the M-38? Was there anyway that they could be mounted on one of the rear fender wells? Have looked at the drawings posted on the forum and only found the one for the rear mount.

Larry

Last edited by hanl3 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
hanl3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

Thanks for your reply.

It is an AN/VRC-17 (R109/GRC, RT67/GRC, PP112/GR on a MT327/GR mount) that I am looking for information on mounting in my M-38.

Larry
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, I could have sworn I saw VRC-12 in your title last night! I see you edited it. I withdraw my VRC-12 treatise and point out that the GRC rear seat set-ups went there because there is just not room for more than then two large units on the wheel house in these jeeps. I would suggest splitting the set and put the R109 on the opposite wheel house. Or if you want a M38/M38A1 to look like it is carrying a normal radio set-up for them then set it up as a VRC-8, -9, or -10 or a VRQ-1, -2 or -3. Or you could remove your right seat and build an extended support on that side to handle the full length GRC set-up.

Post a photo of your radio set & mount.

(Larry, I noticed your email system is refusing the automated emails from our web site that are sent when one of your posts has a reply. You should check your mail settings and make sure the web site's messages aren't going straight to your trash box.)

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
hanl3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, after looking at your initial reply, I looked at my OP. I had keyed "16/17/16" when I meant "16/17/18". I have a AN/VRC-9 mounted on the right rear wheel house of the M-38 now. Was looking to change it out to the VRC-17 that I had mounted on the wheel house of my former M-38A1. I guess the few extra inches of the A1 allowed me to do that. Will have to decide now if I want to give up the back seat for a FT285 to mount the VRC-17.

Answered the separate e-mail you sent regarding the blocked e-mail problem.

Will post some pictures in my new photo gallery soon. Thanks for setting it up.

Larry
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen if you heated the two vertical tubes at their lower bend in the passenger seat and angled the seat back further forward? Measure the distance from the rear end of the wheel house to the top edge of the seat back then measure your radio set. If you only need the seat back to move forward a couple of inches then this would work.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: