Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - REAR DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEMS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

REAR DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kilroy583

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: REAR DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEMS Reply with quote

hello all,
I was wondering if anyone can tell me why my drive pinion has 26 splines instead of the 10 spline on my 1952 M38A1 rear differential?

I also posted some pictures in my album showing how everything was assembled it seems to me the dust shield should have been installed before
that cup looking part was pressed on the yoke?

tks Chris
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Can't help much with your questions without a good view of the axle assembly and a view of the parts laid out as they were removed. Your photo shows the dust shield in the correct order, last.

I would make a wild guess and say you had a later model civvy jeep axle assembly. But would need to see a full photo of the axle, a closeup of the rear cover and a closeup of the cast markings that surround the cover.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
kilroy583

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted some of the photos you needed to I.D. my rear axle hope they help.

Wes,
after you helped get my engine going I had no clutch. Read a bunch of posts, pulled the engine replaced the clutch, rods, tubes. finally had a clutch. I slowly moved the jeep on its own very slowly in and out of the garage felt and sounded good. So decided to go around the block half way around and it was terrible got back and realized I have issues with my rear axle. now the drive pinion is loose so I'm wondering if I try to tighten it to the 200 ft lbs as I read in other posts could I possibly damage anything.

Chris
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you tighten to 200 Ft Lbs rotate the pinion using a tire. If she starts to bind or get stiff to move with the rotating tire stop. This would mean there are not enough shims behind the bearing. If left that way and torqued to 120 or 220 will usually result in accelerated bearing wear.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
kilroy583

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks I'll give that a try. did you see those new pictures I was wondering if you could tell what type of axle I have
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Spicer/Dana model 44. The real question is what year is it and what vehicle was it built for.

The later dana 44's with smaller splines and flanged axles had BOM #'s stamped on the long tube. Try to see if you can find any numbers there.

Is it possible you have a limited slip axle? Have you tried turning one wheel off the ground with the opposite wheel on the ground?

kilroy583

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any markings on the tube. Since its a spicer/dana 44 does the 120 to 220 torque still good.

Chris
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The torgue setting is for a large spline pinion. I have no idea if it also applies to the pinion you have. The Model 44 was was produced from 1950 through today and has had dozens of changes over that lifetime.

If you haven't removed the paint from the long tube then you most likely will not see the BOM marking. Get the BOM number and give it to a differential/axle rebuilder and they can get you the correct answer.

kilroy583

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks Wes that's where I'll start.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: