Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - seat cover material
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seat cover material

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: seat cover material Reply with quote

I've seen some discussions as to whether the M38 came with canvas or vinyl rubber from the factory.

Found this photo in one of our members' galleries.

Not sure of the date but those seat covers are not vinyl.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Gary-Keating&id=m38_rubber1&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct in your observations. The factory line in that 1951 photo were certainly using canvas. The big "Ta Do" came with the June 1952 intro of the M38A1 where Willys announced the new waterproof seat covers of the M38A1.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan_M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought my M38 seat covers were some type of generic replacements until I picked up a Willys Wagon jumpseat and noticed it was the exact same material. Since then, I've read through every online debate I can find as to whether vinyl was original or not.

This is from my DOD 4/52 M38. It has lived most (possibly all) of its life with a protective Arctic Top. Any idea if these covers are even the right color to be either original or factory replacements? With all the debating I haven't really found any good pics. Are these the covers people are arguing about?

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only available proof in the pudding is in the factory drawings for the seats and until someone like Keith produces the drawings we will not have a definitive answer on the fabric. The M38A1 has the strongest evidence of vinyl seat covers found in the trade publication's announcements of the new contract specs that called for the new, more waterproof, vinyl covers. Again Willys factory drawings would resolve this as well.

There are a few self proclaimed testimonial military guru troops over on the G503 that say they saw all these jeeps new and they had vinyl. Each of those troops I tracked down several years ago were not in the service before 1959 and that made their testimonials nothing but locker room BS for M38's and M38A1's before 59.

As for the very nice looking seat covers you show, I doubt very seriously they are 62 years old even with an arctic top that could have been installed in 1952 or 1962 or 1970 or later when it fell into civvy hands. Arctic tops were installed on jeeps that went way north and removed from jeeps re-assigned further south.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan_M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight Wes. I did read through all 11 pages of the epic debate over on the G and I suppose it still remains a mystery. Original or not, I have a better feeling that these may have been reupholstered with some type of factory covers (replacement or otherwise), not just with a remnant of Bubba's vinyl 20 years ago.

It's a bad pic but here's the Willys Wagon seat I picked up a few months ago and have since sold. Upholstery material was the exact same.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those vinyl (or as often called "leatherette") covers were replacement covers sold by Willys for many years. They did come from Willys on the CJ2A, 3A, 3B and 5/6 and the there is reliable evidence they did. Some outfits would spend the money and order replacements from Willys and some would not spend the money and have their own fab shops fabricate canvas replacements. For example I was in from 66 to 89. If I needed a new seat cover in my 1968 Chevy GI service van in 1971 I was directed to remove the seat and take it to the fab shop and they would recover it with their bulk material. This was because units had budgets and keeping a 68 Chev Van or a 59 Willys M38A1 pretty and stock with original factory seat covers was not considered sound fiscal management.

Until someone pops up with the Willys factory drawings with seat covering material specs you are safe to use either canvas or vinyl.

Ryan_M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:

Until someone pops up with the Willys factory drawings with seat covering material specs you are safe to use either canvas or vinyl.

My current project is hardly a "restoration" so I could probably reupholster with a burlap sack and it would blend right in. With that said, I'm still very interested in learning the way things SHOULD be. I find these minor production details very fascinating. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
buzzk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: seat covers Reply with quote

I've seen pics in the M38 manuals , It's in the maintenance manual pg 314 buzz
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those manual photos are canvas. The cushion covers in those photos were sewn at their seams inside out then reversed for installation. Much different then the vinyl covers which have folded and sewn outside seams.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: