Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Just what is an 11" brake conversion?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just what is an 11" brake conversion?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Just what is an 11" brake conversion? Reply with quote

Brian asked this question on another unrelated post.

[img] Saw another article about converting to 11" brakes. Isn't there a lot more to that than it sounds? [/img]

[img]24-08A 11" BRAKE UPGRADE KIT
This is our always popular eleven inch brake upgrade kit that can be installed on any Willys Jeep four wheel drive vehicle. This kit is an absolute requirement on vehicles that have been re-powered or has larger than stock tires and wheels installed.

This is a complete ready to bolt on kit that includes four 11" brake backing plates with new grade 8 attaching hardware, four new 11” brake drums, two sets of 11”x 2” brake shoes, four brake wheel cylinders with grade 8 attaching hardware, four upper brake shoe return springs, four lower brake shoe return springs, eight brake shoe retaining clips, eight brake shoe adjusting eccentrics, two front brake hoses with clips and gaskets, two front wheel hub seals, two rear wheel hub seals, four rear hub seal gaskets, twenty hub studs and twenty wheel nuts.

The contents of this kit is entirely comprised of Willys OEM and replacement parts that we always have on hand unlike other so called “brake upgrade kits” on the market.

2408A11.......11” BRAKE UPGRADE KIT…................................................................$ 999.50

[/img]

If you compare the parts list to your service manual the level of work involved will be very obvious. Not mentioned above is the fact that the 11" brakes are set up to accept a more modern parking brake cable system to each rear wheel. This would eliminate the drum on the rear driveshaft and it's associated normal rattles. Post 71 rear bacvk plates have to be modified to fit 41-71 jeep universal 41/44 axles.

http://z4.invisionfree.com/CJ3B_Bulletin_Board/ar/t2737.htm

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moses Ludel in his Jeep Owner's Bible talked a bit about going to an 11" brake for just the reasons you posted above.

Curious as to how obvious the changed parts are assuming you kept the emergency brake stock and would someone get knocked for it in an MVPA judging event.

Was there ever a military option for going to a split master cylinder system?

It seems that is a safety concern as well on a daily driver.

Thanks,
Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parts are well illustrated in the many articles on the issue.

Yes, it would be a non original item.

No the Army never got dual master cylindered M38's or M38A1's or m170's.

A well maintained antique or classic car brake system in a stock vehicle is safe. The dual master cylinder is a nice to have safety enhancement.

If you modify the vehicle to make it heavier or faster than a stock vehicle then you should be concerned with the adequate or not brake system under it's new operating needs.

When you leave a 60HP or 72HP 3 speed jeep stock the original brakes are more then adequate and safe to run with. In about 90% of all stock jeep brake issues relating to poor braking the cause is poor maintenance. The two most common are not arching or shimming shoes to match turned out drum contours and using drums that are turned out way too far. The next is rotted brake hoses restricting fluid movement.

Many people new to old jeeps keep using their modern power brake cars and trucks as a yard stick when gauging their jeep's brake performance. This is a very un-bright assumption for one to make. Modern vehicles are way overbraked to help prevent idiots from getting hurt when they are stretching their safe envelope entirely too far.

Since 1970 I have had a 42 GPW, 52 M38A1, 60 CJ3B, 60 CJ5 and a 51 M38 as daily drivers with stock brake systems with no issues.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jaycee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put the 11 inch brakes on my gpw as i was sick and tired of the mediocre ancient brakes. i didnt buy a kit but rather scrounged 4 front backing plates and built up the assy's with the appropriate wheel cylinders and those wonderful self adjuster's. i retained the original single circuit master cylinder. it would stop on dime. THERE WAS NOTHING FAULTY WITH THE 16 STEP ADJUSTMENT ON THE original BRAKES.i was #@$%@ glad i did as one day some idiot kid decided to run out in the road in front of me. the 11 inch modern drums saved that kids and my bacon. if you drive one of these things in an URBAN scenario I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS EXCELLENT UPGRADE. i also upgraded to teflon brake hoses which dramatically
reduced the mushy pedal
maeserik

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

better braking performance will be good,

I drive my M38 as it was build for and the brakes are good enough with the original engine. I adjusted the brakes well after the restoration 9 years ago and they still do the job. Driving the jeep on the highways these days in Belgium is dangerous because a lot of traffic and trucs.
It is nice to take small roads with are not weekly used. With the jeep you have to take time to enjoy it. With a max speed of 50 m/h they are good enough.

Erik
1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: