Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - YS 637 Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YS 637 Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KHH37435

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: YS 637 Problems Reply with quote

I recently replaced an old, incorrect Solex carburetor that was on my M38 when I bought it with a correct rebuilt YS637. When I installed it on the engine it fired up quickly and idled great. Before I installed the carb I set the idle mixture screw at 1-1/2 turns out as an initial setting. Once the engine was warmed up some I tried to do a final setting on the idle mixture screw, but when I started turning the mixture screw futher out there was no changes in the engine idle quality or speed. I eventually screwed the mixture screw completly in to a point where the needle seated and was completely shut off, with still no change in the engine idle speed or quality; the engine idled fine. I then revved the engine to evaluate throttle response and it revved quicky and strong. However, when I released the throttle and let the engine slow down quickly from being revved, the engine died. It started right up again and idled fine, but when I revved it again, the same thing happend, it died when I released the throttle back to idle. I also noticed that if I revved the engine up and then slowly redcued the engine speed, it returned to a steady idle. I took the carb off the engine and verified that the idle mixture opening in the carb body is not blocked.

Since it idled fine I then took it for a test drive and under acceleration the carburetor worked great, but when operating under at a steady load / speed, there was some "surging".

Any thoughts on what might be going on with those two issues?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you examine this illustration closely it will be clear that if the needle's adding or subtracting of additional fuel just below the throttle plate has no affect on the idle speed then there is already too much gas there. Two common reasons for that are:

1-throttle plate is open too far causing idle mixture adjustment to be ineffective.

2-Bowl float level is too high causing an overflow making the system too rich.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
KHH37435

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Wes. When I took the carb off to verify the idle circuit passages were not blocked I had also looked at the throttle plate as a possible culprit, but the setting appeared to be ok. The surging at slow steady speeds made me suspect the float level might be incorrectly set, so thanks for the confirmation. I'll check the float setting next.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to make sure the idle speed adjustment screw does not hold the plate open at all when starting the the idle mixture adjustment.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: