Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 52' oil canister maintanence?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 52' oil canister maintanence?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify the bore size of the jet was related to gear drive cam engines only and the problem was with overheating the # 1 ROD bearing.

The Old issue over the filter removal started with one of our jeep books that proclaimed it was the right thing to do with the chain drive cam WWII jeeps and early 2A's. Hinted at #1 main oil starvation issues. The author withdrew that recommendation many years ago.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
joebuck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wesk, the best i can answer your question is this Unusual Trip occurred i think around 88-90 based on his old receipts and title transfer. He gave me every receipt he incurred in the reconstruction. Furthermore i have pictures of my jeep in the Overland Plant. How neat is that!!!!! This guy would stay locked up on weekends in the plant and work on his jeep. pretty cool story. So i guess the ole saying "is not what you know is who you know!!" helped my buddy out.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice little commercial shop that seems to specialize in Willys/Kaiser/Jeep service. There are several carrying various Willys, Willys America, and Willys -Overland titles still doing business today.

The Willys Factory is in Toledo Ohio and was a huge steel, concrete and brick facility.

Here are a few photos of the Willys Factory:

The production Line

Jeeps parked on the roof of one of the plant buildings waiting to be delivered during WWII

1998: By the time ground is broken for Toledo North Assembly Plant next to the Stickney Avenue factory, Jeep Parkway is made up of 62 buildings covering 4.5 million square feet.

This photos shows the demolition schedule the plant has followed over the years.

The plant property today.

Ron Szymanski managed the Jeep Museum at the Toledo plant for many years. Until it too was demolished several years ago.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
joebuck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! love the roof top shot. Looking through the receipts.. Willys Overland MPL?...so that makes sense.. his buddy worked for a "shop" that specialized in Willys Jeep restoration...

OK.....thanks for history lesson.......Now question and advice please

Is it worth the $$ for me to pay someone to tear down the engine and check the spray nozzle jet diminsion.........or carry on like i have been doing? Will it eventually tear up my motor even if i change my oil every year with about 2000 miles on it?

side note....changed my oil and tweeted the carb on ole girl will run 60 mph on highway with canvas top.....is that good?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Minneapolis outfit was the originator of the oil filter tale.

I would run a filter. It's up to you on your jeep. If you don't have a problem yet and the engine serial is MCXXXXX or RMCXXXXX then it would have come from Willys with the correct nozzle size and the oil pressure loss at that #1 rod bearing would not be an issue. One way to check is to read with a DIRECT MECHANICAL pressure gauge the actual oil pressure at the rear of the gallery and then at the front. The fitting behind the fuel pump is difficult to access.

joebuck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice as usuAl Wes. Thanks. Will check serial and get someone to check pressure
joebuck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine serial number is RMC 115629

Wesk ...does 6 numbers in my serial an issue with jet?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers rose into the 6 digits around Jun/Jul 1952. They just used up all the 5 digit numbers. The switch in jet size was implemented before the MC & RMC engines came out at CJ3A eng serial 3J-166871. That is why I said if you have a correct MC or RMC serial you should have the correct jet already.

joebuck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes . previous owner said he put a "BB"? in the line to stop oil. So i got to find the BB and remove and inspect my oil canister and make sure it has all the parts. Initial inspection looked to me like the filter was a small minnow bucket!!!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at my photo album dedicated to oil filters:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album36&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Another great booklet that helps a ton with these jeeps is Spence's MV parts cross ref. You can buy it from Portrayal Press.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: