Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Cylinder head gasket
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cylinder head gasket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Cylinder head gasket Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm sure Wes posted the reply to this BUT now I need it I can't find it here.
The head gasket has the metal insert round the edge of the cylinder bores that is wider on one side than the other.
so, Does the wide flange face up or down.
Thanks all and sorry for being stupid and unable to find a previous answer.
Cheers,
Dave.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is now sorted.
The question was on here but somehow the answer was over on the G.
The reason I asked was because I'm off to a local show and rather than just park the jeep up I figured I'd fix the head and give the show goers something else to loook at.
Thanks,
Dave.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I read that over on the G also. If I remember correctly the gasket should say which side goes up or down.

Sounds like you have her running. Is she running well?
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, as they say, "The best laid plans of mice and men." I was going to put the head on the m38 at the show (the gasket doesn't say 'top' on either side) anyway, while running vehicles back and forth I was on my way back to the show with the m201 having dropped off the m35, I had to stop in a hurry and #@$%@ near killed us all.
I got a duel circuit maser cylinder from herm a while ago but had it ear-marked for the M38.
So I arrive at the show with the m201 and somewhat shook up decide to pull the drums and have a look at the brakes, running on autopilot I start to remove the front wheel but I'm in M38 mode and forget the bloody stupid MB front brake drum that has to have the hub pulled to get the drum off. (I've been both so shook up and so angry today that I am still not thinking straight!!)

So here I am at the show with a foul head on my shoulders and every joe public it seems wants to offer me advice, by the way, they have no idea but always think they know better, and every time something doesn't go right they say, "Ooo you didn't want to do that did you." TOO #@$%@ RIGHT YOU *&%*$£* IDIOT I DIDN'T WANT TO SMACK MY ELBOW OFF THE INSIDE SHARP EDGE OF THE BUMPER, WHAT MAKES YOU *&%$£$% THINK I DID??

Just then it started to rain, we had a heat wave this last month, highest temps ever recorded in 350 years of recording and no rain, but just as I realised the hub wasn't going to come easily, the heavens opened, and steadily the baked earth and dust I was working in turned to mud.

Joe public was really helpful now, "Ooo why don't you do that inside it'll be much dryer you know."
NO *&^% BATMAN, WOW!! HOW COME I DIDN'T THINK OF THAT, MAYBE BECAUSE IT'S JUST HAPPENED AND I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF A *&$£*&%FIELD 30 MILES FROM HOME AND I'VE JUST SMACKED MY ELBOW AND NOW I'VE SKINED MY KNUCKLES AND NOW I'VE JUST GOT A SLIVER OF SHARP METAL FROM THE LOCKING WASHER UNDER MY THUMB NAIL.

Anyway, the drum seems to be locked fairley tight to the shoes and won't come off. Playing with the adjusters and the cam on the back plate doesn't seem to be helping. Cylinder stuck??
So I've left the bloody thing where it is and come home with the wife and kids. If I can't fix it in the time I have tomorrow I'll just get it loaded into the M35 and bring it home.

The good news is that I managed to buy the widget (carb diffuser).
I hear the gin bottle calling me, a dry martini or several have my name on them,
as I say, "The best laid plans of mice and men."
All the best,
Dave
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Sorry to hear of your troubles! Crying or Very sad

Things always look better after you get away from them for a while and have a nice drink (for medicinal purposes Laughing ).

I am sure you will get things figured out as you are a resourceful person.

Remember, it could have been worse, you could have had an accident when you were driving.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ryan,
to finish the tail......... I managed to pick up a MC gasket set by accident which ironically also contained the carb widget (diffuser) so after not being able to buy 1 I find 2 on the same day!!

The M201 drove home OK but is now in the garage tilll I can get round to her.
All the best,
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: