Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Door canvas rail mounting options
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Door canvas rail mounting options
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DownRange762

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Door canvas rail mounting options Reply with quote

I'm working on installing doors on my M38A1 and had a question about how others have mounted the rail that captures the forward edge of the door canvas.

You can see in this stunningly clear and well lit photo the unpainted rail I'm talking about shown here on the left side of the windshield frame.

My question is how have others mounted this rail, self tapping sheet metal screws or through-bolts? I've looked at the illustrations on the parts TM as well as some of the photo albums on this site but none so far have covered this area. If I have overlooked THE definitive photo of an M38A1canvan rail, please just provide the link.

M35A3
M37B1
Kendall

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have access to my M38A1 right now, but on my two M38s these are spot-welded.
Kendall
1942 Dodge WC-55
1951 M100 trailer
1942 Ben Hur trailer
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are spot welded. You can get away with plug welding them and cleaning up the welds.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually they were originally secured with self tapping screws. The M38A1 did not leave Willys or Kaiser with those channels installed. They were part of the door/side curtain kit that had to be installed in the field.

Had you researched my photo album (album #2) under Canvas tops and then under M38A1 it would become very clear how the side curtains and the doors were installed.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album219&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, had M38 on my mind.
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my M38A1 the rail is attached with screws, the M38's rail is welded.
DownRange762

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

As noted in my original post, I did ask for the link to any relevant pictures if I had overlooked THE definitive picture of the rail mounting method. I had looked through many pictures but the only one I saw was for an M38, not an A1.

I also asked what others had done successfully, not what the maker had done as one may not always be able to or choose to duplicate the factory, even if they supplied a kit for later installation.

Or the short answer, try self-tapping screws.
M35A3
M37B1
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wade,

Sometimes the long answer sucks but then sometimes the long answer is also the correct answer. We have operated this site a great number of years, we have collected tons of data and publications and made them available free here. I personally approved each member's membership. Each of you with a M series jeep I sent a survey and manual list to. Each survey listed my Photo Album by link as the best place to look first when you have a question. If you right click on the photo I posted you will see the link you requested originally.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes,
I may be missing something but I followed the link supplied, and although the screws are listed on the parts list there is not a photo of the rail mounted to an A1.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bretto

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the info from that parts list pic, I think I'd call it good and be heading to the hardware shop to be getting 8 #10 1/2" self tapping pan head screws.
I assume there no existing holes in the frame?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, the link of the photo itself only opens that photo which is in my album. If you want to see the other page of the parts list and the installation drawing go to my photo album and go to page 2 and open the "Canvas Tops" albums and open the "M38A1" sub-album and voila.

I've said this several hundred times here over the years and I'll say it again here:

When you have over 2500 members in a group and over 290 have a photo album in our photo album page you can bet your sweet A__ there's a ton of info there. Ryan has album #1 and I have album #2 on the 1st page of "Member's Albums". Open my album and you will find 68 sub-albums plus an additional un-indexed 196 photos. This is a technical oriented album and I have advised at least 85% of the membership to use this resource when they have questions that can be answered with a simple illustration.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make the horse drink it!

DJ

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some members need to realize before they ask or answer a post the amount of time and money Wes and Ryan put into this site. Some of the answers or questions by the members seem to me to be a little sarcastic and impatient. This is a hobby,remember you are talking to grown adults asking them to share there wisdom ,gained through years of work in the field . Many professionals would not even share their years of knowledge with the general public.

If I had to deal with some of the members who get demanding,sarcastic, or impatient,like some do.I'd of told them long ago, kiss it, and shut the site down.

Wes,
I don,t know how you do it,but sure am glad you do!!

THANKS

DJ
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time those folks don't even realize their responses carry those type of feelings or implications. We all have to learn to communicate better as we gain experience and not "look a gift horse in the mouth", so to speak.

DownRange762

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bretto, - correct, no holes in the frame presently for mounting the strip.

Brian, - also correct, the link I was able to follow shows the rails for an M38, not an A1 and I wasn't able to locate a photo showing how the rails were mounted, only that they were mounted. I saw that the field kit included screws but my original question was how have others in the present era addressed installing doors since sometimes hindsight provides a better alternative to what the factory may have done and I'd rather ask before drilling.

DJ, - I agree with your sentiments 100% and note they should apply equally to both those asking and answering a question. Regarding the expense of maintaining a site like this, I'd be happy to participate to help offset the cost as I do on other sites. Is that an option here?
M35A3
M37B1
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's interesting:
Quote:
note they should apply equally to both those asking and answering a question.
Specifically, which of DJ's sentiments aren't being applied equally each way on our web site?

Back to links and your original post (In which you asked more than one question):
Quote:
I've looked at the illustrations on the parts TM as well as some of the photo albums on this site but none so far have covered this area. If I have overlooked THE definitive photo of an M38A1canvan rail, please just provide the link.

I provided both the link and the photo. By opening that sub-album "M38A1 Canvas Top" you should have tripped over this drawing which show s exactly what you asked for in inset B-B

My replies offered you 100% due diligence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: