Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Surplus 1962 USMC M38A1 For Sale On EBAY
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surplus 1962 USMC M38A1 For Sale On EBAY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BullRun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Surplus 1962 USMC M38A1 For Sale On EBAY Reply with quote

They're still out there waiting to be found! On Ebay. Reportedly only about 2000 ever built. Not mine. Rare jeep that looks good. When are you going to find another one? And, it is a good cause. Fire Dept. vehicles are very well taken care of usually. Same production as mine 11/62 so it likely has Power - Loc locking differentials front and back. Good set of pictures of vehicle details and nice condition aluminum data plates. Note rubber covered gas pedal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-jeep-Willys-/291298949694?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276#viTabs_0

Moved to auction board by management.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=modcp&mode=split&t=6272&sid=64d18079a92191931e26289935656c6c
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 volt converted to 12?
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that too! I guess they thought it was like a WWII jeep.
buzzk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: A1 jeep Reply with quote

looks like it has Marine Corps rear cross-member which means I think has power loc diffs buzzzz
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a USMC jeep at one time but it was procured by the Army on a Army contract # in 1962. It would have been delivered direct to the Marines from Kaiser though.

The procured by column has Ordnance Corps and the Depot column has Marine Corps.
In the photo before this one you'll see another clue to it being a Marine unit. The small M151 style lights in the instrument cluster. The other clue would be the M151 style air cleaner that you can't see in the engine shots.

Contract # DA-33-019-ORD-3897 is an Army #.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Veterans Day parade a 1962 or 1964 USMC M38A1 drove by with a radio rectifier behind the grill. It looked unrestored too. In the time I have owned mine I have only come across a few of them. Yet, someone not far away has one too.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that wasn't a 100 AMP alternator system rectifier? Wink

I got two replies from the fellow selling the 62 A1

Quote:

I was putting the information the former fire chief knew about the vehicle. I will contact him and verify. I will also get you that engine serial number here soon. Sorry for taking so long to respond to your message. It's been a long day at work.

- imspiffy1

You are correct about the 24 volt system. It was converted to a 12 volt system. I'm not sure if I got the correct number but I pulled this off the engine block. 807895 is the number on the block. The VIN / Manufacture serial # 88525. The stamped plate on the front dash says it was delivered on 11/1962.

- imspiffy1

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Wes, I meant the 100 amp rectifier for the alternator. It was a nice looking jeep too. Wanted to talk to the owner but it was a big parade and he was long gone by the time I got to the vehicle display afterwards. It is now the only operational one I have ever seen.

From what I have found it appears that these jeeps and the very early Willys M151 jeeps shared some parts in their production... probably as a way to cut costs.

The correct air cleaner top on this jeep has a smooth flat surface, no pressed rings. I am not sure that the bottom canister part is the regular M38A1 part or also from the Willys M151 jeep production.

Last edited by BullRun on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
BullRun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I compared this jeeps serial number against my jeeps serial number and found out they are less than 50 vehicles apart from each other. Possibly and probably they were built at the same time or the same day. Either way pretty close together after 52 years!

Wes, using your great blow up of the dash tag I was able to compare the approval stamp against mine and found them to be the same. Earlier I had thought mine was a crown stamp... not the correct eagle and stars.

Same ORD Contract too.

If anyone here buys it I'd be happy to compare vehicles for a restoration.
RICKG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BullRun wrote:
So I compared this jeeps serial number against my jeeps serial number and found out they are less than 50 vehicles apart from each other. .

Now THAT is cool Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Auctions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: