Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 Carb Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 Carb Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: M38A1 Carb Problem Reply with quote

Hey all,

Tried to take my jeep for a spin yesterday. Started up fine, ran for maybe 10 seconds, and died.

Tried to get it started again, and it just wouldnt do it. I smelled gas pretty good, so I opened up the hood and long and behold gas was coming out of my carb. Found it all over the top of my valve cover and around the carb. So I started to pull it apart - and found out the gas had travelled down the hose that connects to the oil dipstick. It was also on that elbow, right by the choke butterfly valve.

Obviously something went wrong. I looked at the seals and they all look good. Is this a stuck float problem? Was thinking that perhaps the float got stuck and gas just kept pumping.

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? I dont want this to happen after the jeep has been running for a while. The idea of gas leaking and perhaps dripping on my exhaust manifold while its hot doesnt rub me too well.
petesilfven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a piece of dirt in the float needle assembly. Give it a couple of raps with a plastic mallet where the fuel line connects and try again. If that doesn't work, you'll have to pull the top off of the carb and clean it out.

The real cure is to install a modern filter in the tank in place of the original one. I just removed the original filter cartridge and cut the tube shorter so I could use a metal aftermarket inline unit, and connected it up with fuel hose and clamps, making sure the bottom hose was almost to the bottom of the tank.
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

I pulled off the top and the float assembly moves free. Will soak the needle in solvent and check for blockage. Thanks for the tip, makes sense what you said - but I didnt think of it.

Working on it right now, will post if success / failure.
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

You were correct. A piece of dirt was in there. Kinda strange, cause not only do I have the filter in the tank, but I got an inline one as well. Hrmph. perhaps it was in an elbow or something and stuck there for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: