Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - rare M38 "Heinz" Model refurbishment project
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rare M38 "Heinz" Model refurbishment project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papavince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: rare M38 "Heinz" Model refurbishment project Reply with quote

New to this site but look forward to talkin with everyone. Got a Bubba-Built "Heinz" (57 varieties) jeep to be refurbished into a local driver. If you ever heard the old Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time"--This is it. Seems it started out life as a M38 but now powered by a Willys F 161--M38a1 grille--cj2a hood and windshield etc. Funny thing--it runs!!--anyway--sellin off the wrong stuff and been pickin up correct parts. Need info on the luminous gauges for the panel. Any help is appreciated--Thanks!!!!--Also--anybody have anyfeedback on the new electronic distributors vs the standard points type?--would try the points-free one if it has proven reliable.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Vince,
I believe the only luminous item in the dash was the speedometer.
The M38 gauges including the speedo had slots just behind the
bezel in the side which let in light from two panel mounted lights
with red lenses. They are readily available. Hard to visualize
as they were covered by half moon jobbies that kept light from
shining into the passenger compartment.

As long as you are sticking with 24 volts you will have no problem
replacing all of these. If you are going to 12 volts very few period
12 volt gauges have those windows. I did find a mechanical
oil pressure switch with them, but it is not original equipment
for an M38.

A buddy has a CJ5 that he put electronic ignition in and has never
regretted it. It all depends on what you are wanting with your
ride .

Welcome, and good luck!
Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Vince. Looks like you have a very Heinz 57 varieties jeep. Did they move the radiator forward or knock the firewall back to fit the inline 6?

Just a quick reminder that this is a "Follow my project" page and when you have a specific technical question try posting it on the tech page where responses will be greater and info learned or shared will be greater.

Nearby folks will more readily avail themselves to you for help if you fill in your signature line with your first name, make/year/model jeep and location. This way whenever you post we will immediately know who you are, what you drive and where you are.

If you'll click on the search function Icon at the top of the page you can get a quick review of your question as asked in the past:
ie electronic ignition: then "Use all terms" then select Technical board and hit search and you get this wealth of info:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search&mode=results

All the older gauges have radium in the dial faces, not just the speedo. It's an industrial level exposure issue for shops that handle thousands of them. You can scrape the face off into your cereal bowl and you would need to worry more about the chemicals in the paint then the radium!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
papavince

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, The firewall was cut out to fit the 161 engine, A box of sort was built in the passenger compartment to replace the floor panels. Excellent work but you really have to be about 4' 5" tall to drive it comfortably. The barn door hinge accelerator pedal is unique. As soon as I figure out how to post pics, you can better understand what was done.
Brian, complete wiring system was changed out with a 12v CJ setup a long time ago so I am going to carry on with that. Have a complete new wiring harness for a CJ3B. Powering the 24v gauges with a 12-24v step up feeding a terminal strip and tapping gauges off of that. I appreciate the heads up on how to post on the site. Will work on getting it all straight.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince,
Go to the Member's Photo pages and look up Wes. He is on the first page.

Probably hundreds of photos of the M38. Look under electrical and lighting and you'll find a lot of photos and information on the gauges and electrical.

Also, if you want to search do not use the Search Articles window to the left here.

Go to the Search above. It works a lot better.

Wes, thanks for the info on the gauges. I cleaned up my takeoff speedo that I need glass and a pointer for, held it under a light for a while then put it in a dark closet. No go. I guess we are at the half life of that stuff!

Take care,
Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
papavince

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the heads up--will give it a go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: