Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Headlight issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headlight issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Headlight issue Reply with quote

My driver's side headlight blew out. So I bought a new one and installed it. Packard connectors, not Douglas shell, but so was the one I removed. I made sure I lined up the three connectors with the old lines, and plugged it all in. It worked great, for a day. Then it suddenly stopped working. It was freezing out, and I figured I'd do a circuit test in the morning. Then, as I drove home, I noticed the headlight was on again. This morning, I turned the lights on, and it was off. I pulled the headlight, and tested the three wires with the light switch on. One had current, two did not. I think one goes to ground, are the other two supposed to be live?
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
Kendall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the wires coming from the headlight? Circuit 91 is the ground, 17 and 18 are high beam and low beam respectively. I had a similar problem with blowing of headlights in my jeep. Check the voltage in the wiring harness at the headlight. Mine was registering high so I adjusted the voltage at the regulator.
Kendall
1942 Dodge WC-55
1951 M100 trailer
1942 Ben Hur trailer
Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Circuit tested everything. All the correct wires get power, and the highbeams work. Only the low beams don't. I tested it on a voltmeter, and it doesn't get too much voltage. Low beams must just have blown.
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already mentioned excessive high voltage will burn out you lamps. Since you have the voltmeter in hand why not start the engine, accelerate it to about the RPM equivalent of 40 MPH and turn on the headlights. If your reading is above 28 .5 volts then I suggest you adjust the regulator for 28.5.

If the reading is 25 to 28.5 volts then she is fine and the issue is in bulb quality. Have you taken ohm readings of the bulb's filaments to see if they are actually blown?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I take the ohm readings Wes?
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of typing to explain and depends on the meter you are using and it's ranges. It's time to get a helper who knows electricity and meters.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a stupid question but where did you check voltage
on the wiring? If at the headlights I respectfully walk away.

The reason I ask is if the voltage was not checked at the headlights
there could be a little confusion and the dimmer switch may be bad,
providing voltage to the high beams only. That also may explain
the intermittent operation.

Those old switches are mechanical, and after having one apart
can easily see the thing failing partially or completely.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked voltage right where the packard connectors mate next to the back of the headlight bucket. I also checked them inside the headlight bucket where they mate to the cables extruding out of the bulb itself. I revved the engine and it didn't go above 26.5 volts.
www.danhenk.com
Xamon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the bottom end voltage at idle? too little voltage can cause some issues as well.
Deadguy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.danhenk.com
Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Wes turned out to be the closest. A metal terminal inside a packard connector had backed up in the sleeve and wasn't fully connecting with the male end most of the time. Everything turned out to be in working order, and now I have an extra headlight just in case.
www.danhenk.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: