Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - cat eye lights
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cat eye lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagle64

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: cat eye lights Reply with quote

as I'm removing the lights from the grill section, (I have to replace the wiring it is shot) and away I noticed the cat eyes are made of what looks like aluminum, I thought aluminum was in short supply back then. Is this correct?

also one of the screws is broken off right at the housing.

Does anyone have a good way of getting it out? man that thing is so small and down in there, it is hard to get anything close enough to extract it.

well I tried attaching the photos again hopefully the right way this time
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-No aluminum was not in short supply in the 50's.

2-The motor pool troops often overlooked the need for anti-seize on steel screws they threaded into aluminum housings. If you don't have a small stump to get a vice grip on and soak with penetrating fluid then the drill is your last hope. It is often simpler to drill the hole for the next size tap IE 8-32 drilled to fit 10-24 or 10-32 tap.

Photo posting:

You had the [img][/img] mixed up, this one [img] has to be in front of the url for the photo and this one [/img] has to be at the end of the url.

Usually your photos that you upload to your on line album will be stored in the album in three sizes: Thumb (smallest), Sized (medium) and Original (full size). It is common practice to use the medium photos in your posts. If you open your album you will be looking at Thumbnails of all your photos. If you use the url for this thumbnail then it will show up in you post as the Thumb (smallest) size. On the other hand if you left click on your thumb the medium version of that photo will open. Now you can right click on this photo and copy it's url to your post.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Start spraying that thing daily with Liquid Wrench and store sitting up so the liquid runs into the thread area.

Get a drill that is smaller than the screw, and matching easy-out.

Lots of times you can find them together in a kit.

After several days of Liquid Wrench duty, center punch the screw if possible, and drill into the screw as far as you dare. Then push or lightly tap the easy out into the hole. It has left hand threads that grip the inside of the hole as you try and thread the screw out.

The idea is to get it to move at all. If so, Liquid Wrench and let it sit some more. Then back to the easy out.

If you are lucky it will eventually come out.

If not, then Wes' solution is your choice unless you just opt for another bucket.

Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy out is not a very good option unless you are an experienced wrench bender and have a really good feel for the metal when it starts to yield just before breaks. Once you break off the hardened steel easy out in there your options are done. I quit using them years ago. I drill the screw out with a bit size that leaves only the threads of the screw engaged in the female threads, Then I pick the remaining threads out and run a thread chaser into the hole. Note I said thread chaser and not tap. There's a difference and you should have both on the shelf working these old vehicles. The penetrant and heat can help in your initial attempts to free the screw but when those options are expended just select the correct drill size which is usually the recommended tap drill size for that screw size and thread pitch. A drill press becomes very useful here.

Being an aircraft mechanic since the 60's I have plenty of experience around the corrosion and seizing of dissimilar fastener material in soft metal threaded holes. It appears top be an easy task but the strength of the new corrosion induced joint will amaze you.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% Wes.

You have to know when enough is enough with this aluminum stuff.

I have had luck in the past doing the process described, but there is a very fine line between just a little more and it comes loose, to oh, crap.

The other thing is it is really important to try and get your drilled hole as close to center as possible. Otherwise, you may end up drilling away some of the threads on one side.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: