Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38a1 Lights problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38a1 Lights problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MG777

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: M38a1 Lights problem Reply with quote

Yesterday was the first day i took my m38a1 on a night drive and the drivers side low beam went out. Luckily I had replacement sealed beam which I replaced. Today in the evening the second sealed beam also on the drivers went out.

Also wile driving today the cars lights shut off completely this happened multiple times in row. Every couple of minutes for about 10 seconds the lights go out and come back on by themselves.

Any ideas what is broken? I was thinking maybe the voltage regulator.

Thank you very much for your input.

Marc
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc,
Sounds more like a circuit breaker for the second issue.

Does the A1 have breakers?

Voltage regulator might cause an iffy lamp to go, but two in a row on the same mount? Weird.

Voltage regulator could also be what is causing the breaker to trip if it has one.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your wiring layout a loose grounding wire can cause flickering lights too.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had (have) the same problem. I had 1 go out at a rally night ride a couple of years ago after a full resto. Replaced it when I got home with another used one. Blew that one a few months later.

With advice from this forum, I added a second engine ground and a ground from the light to the frame, and switched to a solid state regulator(to eliminate that possibility since no one knows how to work on the originals anymore). I replaced it with a new production bulb this time.

That lasted the longest - about 6 months. I was at a fire dept. function and someone told me the light was out.

I can't remember which, but it is always one or the other (high or low beam), not both. The Jeep has a new wiring harness, but original light switch and dimmer - maybe that would be where to start looking next.

The 'a1 doesn't have any circuit breakers. Maybe your light switch is going bad (maybe mine is too!).
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several items need to be addressed in this string of posts.

1-Basic DC electrics first. A-Good grounds. B-proper voltage.

2-Check filament positioning when installing lamps. Some filaments do not fare well to bumpy rides if positioned either horizontal or vertical. Try changing your mounting position.

3-M38A1 did not come with the 3 circuit breakers between the dash and firewall or the breaker on the instrument cluster but the main light switch has one inside.

4-The transistorized voltage regulator does not have any serious advantage over the old mechanical regulator. Many folks still work on the mechanical regulators. Mainly because there is a ton of published repair data for them and a reasonable amount of parts. On the other hand the transistorized regulators have very little published data and no spare parts. They are throw aways when they fail.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
MG777

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your input. I am thinking of replacing the sealed beam with production Headlamp. I found one at Hella "Vision Plus 7"sealed beam conversion headlamp". Do you think this one will work? Is there anything i need to know before doing the conversion?

Thank you in advane
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post was entered as new post and that was not the case. I have transcribed to two posts back to this original post. Wes K

Quote:
MG777

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:19 am
Post subject: M38a1 lights go out

Hi all, I already installed a new grounding from battery to car aswell as from engine to car grounding.
My problem is that when I turn on my high beam the whole car lights go out after runing for 5 minutes. They come back on within 5 seconds. I dont know which part I should replace.
Maybe I need to install a relays or maybe replace the regulator?

Thank you in advance [/u]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:18 am
Replace your headlight switch, common problem, internal circuit breaker.
MVPA #15171
Dixie Division MVC #002
1952 M38/M100
1953 Cj3B Navy/Bantam T3-C
M274A2

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: