Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Rear Hubs not coming off!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Rear Hubs not coming off!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tembek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: M38 Rear Hubs not coming off! Reply with quote

Have a heavy duty hub puller from Kaiser and so far I've only managed to bend the hub and the puller. Anyone have any ideas? The axle nuts came off ok, and things don't really look that corroded.

Jim
aforests

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some pictures of your hub puller setup.

Could try heating it up once you have some tension on the puller then give it a wack with a heavy hammer.

Also, make sure you have retracted the brake shoes so the drum isn't hanging up on them.

PHOTO ALBUM
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album400&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Tembek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried heat, also hammering. Had already removed the drum. This thing almost seems welded on.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the way to get the hub off:

Here's a good video:
http://www.4wdmechanix.com/HD-Video-Tool-How-to-Using-the-OTC-7394-Hub-Puller.html

If she still is stubborn I get her under a lot of tension and spray the end of the axle/keyway with penetrant and let her sit a day then I come back and whack the tip of the screw shaft with the hammer arm still attached.

By the way do not take the axle nut all the way off. Just back it away from the hib about 4 threads. Otherwise when it launches across the room it hits you in the shin first then slams into the door on your new car! Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the heavy whack on the end that removes mine. It did indeed fly a ways too! John
Tembek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I don't have that model but the one I have is strong enough to bend the hub. I've tried heat, penetrating oil, and letting it sit overnight. And of course the whack on the end. Both my rear hubs haven't shifted. I do have the axle nut partly on - a very good idea.

I wonder if I can pull the whole assembly with the axle and then have it pressed out?

Jim
Xamon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really really strongly suggest getting that puller, I had a different one to start and it was drilling a hole in the axle without moving the hub, I got one of these pullers put it on hand tight, 3 hits with the mallet to tighten it and the hub just popped right off.
RICKG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Otherwise when it launches across the room it hits you in the shin first then slams into the door on your new car! Wink

Your WIFE'S new car Shocked
Tembek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered the OTC puller. And I sure feel for whoever launches a popped drum into their wife's car. My wife drives an old jag. Aluminum body. Fixing that would pretty much wipe out my jeep budget!

Jim
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your current puller is a jaw type puller then that is the cause of the bending. These hubs were designed to only be pulled from the lug studs. Bent hubs are generally junk. Using them after trying to straighten them by eyeball doesn't usually end up well.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Tembek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. No it's a lug puller. I'm resigned to looking for new hubs. Is it correct I can pull the axles with the hub still in place? I may end up trying to cut them (hubs) off with an angle grinder.

Jim[/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is not true. With the drums off you can pull the bolts out of the axle bearing retainer cover and pull the whole mess, hub, back plate, bearing retainer and axle out and take that axle/hub assembly to the maching shop to press the axle out of the hub and the bearing off the axle as well. Try to keep track of your bearing shims.

jimm

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
... take that axle/hub assembly to the machine shop to press the axle out of the hub and the bearing off the axle as well.

Or, buy a hydraulic press and save the trip to the shop Smile That's what I did, and used it for the axles as well as the differentials and since then, a whole lot of other uses. I'm kicking myself for going so long without one. You can do a big variety of things with a press on hand, including flattening or straightening parts, forming bar stock, etc. in addition to the more obvious pressing things apart or together.
Tembek

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finally got the hubs off. Bought the OTC puller. It's very high quality. But in the end I had to cut the hubs off with an angle grinder. Surprisingly there was no rust on the tapered joint and even some lube remaining. However there was also some kind of hard deposit, like a resin or something. We had tried heat, icing the shaft, penetrating oil. leaving the puller tension on for days, hammering, and using the puller until the flange of the hubs started to yield. The axles look great and are straight.

I am still in awe of how much force the tapered joints resisted.

I like the idea about loosening the axle nuts and driving around for while first to try to break the joint free. Will try that next time.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: