Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 hood markings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 hood markings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattRobinson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: M38A1 hood markings Reply with quote

My son and I sanded the hood of our 1954 M38A1 looking for hood numbers. We found them! On both sides we found "US Army" twice; one set of painting was painted over with it again, on both sides. We also found three sets of the same number on each side: 2A0873. This was painted under the US Army stencils, then painted again, then painted a third time; on each side. So I am fairly confident that it was a US Army Hood with the number 2A0873.

We already found that the body data plate with serial number MD 78688 from over the right, rear fender, shows the jeep body manufactured in December 1954; and the engine serial number MD 100241, from above/behind the water pump, is about the same time frame, so likely the original engine.

Can anyone tell me more about my Hood number? It does not match the serial numbers I found. The hood does not have "USA" stenciled. Any suggestions as to the background of my Jeep hood? This hood came with, and attached to, my Jeep and I think there was only one owner since 1973 when he bought it auction from the military. There is no evidence, that I can see, that it was a replacement hood. The Jeep and hood had several layers of paint and they all were consistent with the Jeep and the hood.

I read that around 1955 the Army started using 2AXXXX hood numbers. This seems consistent with my jeep manufactured in Dec. 1954. with the 2A0873 hood number. However, I have not read much about the 2A hood numbers.

Thanks,
Matt Robinson
m38olddog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on finding your original hood numbers ! And multiple times too ! Most are not so fortunate. Mine is also in the "2A" series from 1955, with the number confirmed by some motor pool log book pages found in the glovebox when sold by the Army. Your engine number is also close to mine. Sounds like you have a nice "numbers matching" jeep !

Dave
M38A1 2/55, MD81433, U.S. ARMY 2A3514
M100 Dunbar Kapple, ?/51, #15122
MattRobinson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Comparing your body serial number, hood number and date of manufacture; it seems my M38A1 is all consistent with Dec. 1954 and probably all matching.

Matt
Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the numbers and letters in the Registration Number indicate is the subject of many inquiries I receive. Here is the information I have on this subject:

Starting in 1955, the hood numbers would look something like this example:

2A 0001

The 2 indicates the vehicles vehicle class. This class runs for all 1/4 ton vehicles. Any military vehicles, with a load rating between those weight limits would start with this number. The A and the 0001 work together to show which number of light weight vehicle accepted that this one is. A 0001 would be the first, A 9999 would be the 9999th one accepted. The next one, #10,000, would be B 0001. Once 9999 were built as B's, the marking would change to C 0001 at number 19,999 and so on.

So being that your M38a1 was built in Dec. 54' it was most likely not accepted in to the US Army until early 55' just after the markings change over. Your number of 2A 0873 would mean that your Jeep was the 873rd light weight vehicle accepted by the Army for 55'. Hope this helps.
Delta Team Decals http://www.deltateamdecals.com/
MattRobinson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

That is excellent information. I am guessing that it would be the 873rd vehicle and not necessarily the 873rd Jeep? I am also guessing that this hood number is consistent with the Dec. 1954 data I received based on the serial numbers?

Matt Robinson
Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, it would have been the 873rd class 2 vehicle accepted by the Army. Build dates and acceptance dates can be two different dates. The data plates only show the build date. Remember that vehicles were built in batches and that the Army assigned the registration numbers per batch. So if your Jeep was built in Dec. but the batch was due in Jan. then your vehicle would have been built to the standards that were set for when the batch was finished. Hence the new style numbering on a vehicle that was built at the end of the year. It's great that you found your original numbers as once lost they are next to impossible to recover. Good luck on your build.

MattRobinson wrote:
Dave,

That is excellent information. I am guessing that it would be the 873rd vehicle and not necessarily the 873rd Jeep? I am also guessing that this hood number is consistent with the Dec. 1954 data I received based on the serial numbers?

Matt Robinson

Delta Team Decals http://www.deltateamdecals.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: