Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - REAL MUD!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

REAL MUD!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: REAL MUD! Reply with quote

I am not a hardcore, off-road, 4 wheelin’, rock climbin’, dude. I prefer to do my Jeeping on gravel roads and just enjoy the ride. But, occasionally, usually by mistake, I get into something a little more exciting. That’s what happened this afternoon.

I had driven the A1 on the pavement over to the corral a few miles away to feed two horses being kept separate from the rest of the herd. I decided to take one of the field roads back to the house. I got to the bottom of a steep, sharp right hander that goes up quickly along the edge of a small draw. Not really big enough to be called a canyon, the draw was still deep and steep enough that if the Jeep and I went down into it, the result would not be good. Most of the road was out of view. I shifted down into first gear and started up the hill. As I came around the turn, I saw it. Mud. Not your garden variety mud. This was REAL MUD. Churned-up-dusty-field-road-turned-slick-and-gooey-by-a-12-hour-set-of-irrigation-line MUD. I didn’t know they’d been watering there! The top half of the hill was covered with it.

I was in two-wheel drive.

I nailed the gas and started sawing the wheel as the back end of the Jeep swung from side to side. I was doing my best impersonation of someone who was really good at this. Things were going pretty well. That lasted for about 5 seconds.

Call it impossible conditions, call it fate, call it pilot error, but I was suddenly stopped, sideways, at a steep angle, in the middle of the road. The back end of the Jeep was facing the draw and the front tires had rolled about a foot into our son-in-law’s freshly watered barley.

I got out, locked the hubs, got back in, shifted in the transfer case and put it in low-range. I backed a little closer to the edge of the draw to find some dry ground, hit the gas and slowly crawled up the rest of the hill.

I stopped at the top and looked back, grateful that I hadn’t gone farther out into the grain, and wasn’t upside down in the bottom of the draw.

Even though the rest of the ride home was flat and dry, I kept it in low range and 4 wheel drive, just to enjoy the moment!

See you at the Old Jeep Rendezvous in Ashton, Idaho 9:00 am - Noon on the first Saturday after July 4th. All pre-1970 Jeep vehicles, military or civilian, stock or modified welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: