Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Fuel/ Vacuum Pump
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Fuel/ Vacuum Pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: M38 Fuel/ Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

Subject: M38 Fuel/ Vacuum Pump
Sold By: Then & Now, Army Jeep Parts, Peter DeBella, Midwest Military

Review:

Shape/ Appearance:
Correct shape (vacuum and fuel pump in one) with a new appearance (as it should be)

Fit/ Function:
I bought one made from NOS parts from Army Jeep Parts. Worked great the first time and everytime. With todays new fuel formulations you need to have all pumps rebuilt with gaskets and seals/ diaphrams that will not be eaten by the gasoline. Also there are several small modifications that have to be made to the internal workings or the pumps will fail easily.

Summary:
It was nice to have a pump that worked with no hassles. You don't want a leaky pump dumping fuel into the engine crankcase oil. Wink

Rating: 10 (1- 10)
ocwd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump Reply with quote

OK, so what's the best value? These MV suppliers all have rebuilt fuel pumps. I have a core and I need a good working fuel pump. Is it better to just trade my pump in as a core or have it rebuilt at Then and Now. I have bought most of my parts from MWM so this probably won't be any different.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proper way to evaluate the system is to first determine what shop is rebuilding the pump for that vendor. Then compare the quality of work of the actual rebuilders not the vendor. You can compare service and warranty with each vendor but try to find out what shop is doing their rebuilds and keep your technical score system in the technical arena.

Another overlooked item is where the buck stops and starts. Unless you are filthy rich every penny counts in this hobby. It is foolish to pay one person more than another selling the same product. If the product you are researching is only available through a vendor then you have no choice but to deal with the vendors and compare their prices. But when the product is available from the builder then distributed wholesale by him but also offered retail by him then you must consider his pricing as well. When dealing with very technical issues it is often better to avoid a middle man.

The other side to this argument is customer service. Many times the vendor offers more pleasantries that make buying through him a better arrangement sometimes.

So be open minded in your research before buying, compare all available data and select based on value both in product and service and what is best for YOU. Remember here that you are the customer, the quality vendor wants your patronage and will do everything within his power get and keep it but pleasing you is what you must demand from them.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bill_F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pump that was rebuilt by then and now, I am not happy with it at all. It leaked gas when I first got it, found a hole the the case, patched it and it worked for this summer. The vacume part never worked. I took it apart to use parts off a takeout pump I have and the hole for the vacume side of the pump for the srews that hold it togther are all stripped. I would end up with a sizable puddle of oil on top of the vacume side of the pump as well after running the engine.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the first complaint I've heard in the last five years against a Then & Now pump. I have seen 2 complaints against one MV vendor and three against another the same past 5 years.

Bill did you take the issue up with Then & Now? Did you personally purchase the pump from them or did you buy it from another person who said it came from them? If you purchased it personally what was your invoice #?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it from them. It was to many years ago and I lost the invoice so they wouldnt help me out. Of course it only was really used this summer.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dealings with Then and Now. I called first to confirm they could do what I required on my pump. The owner concurred.
I sent them an M38A1 pump that I wanted them to rebuild it for a M38 service. I wanted the mid section replace with one that had the 1'8"NPT vent port on it. I wrote this all down in my instructions when I sent the pump.
Later I received the rebuilt pump with a mid section that did not have a 1/8" npt vent port but only had two small holes drilled for venting. I called them back and spoke with the same person. He told me to send the pump back with an explaination. HUH!! I send the pump back with a letter explaining what I said in the first letter.

Later I get the pump back with a letter saying that the mid section he put in was not reinforced enough for tapping for a pipe fitting.
(Why didn't he notify me in the first place before carrying on with the rebuild.) He drilled and tapped it anyway and said that he would not warrant the rebuild.

All he had to do was call me the first time he was working on it, which he didn't, before he went on with the work and tell me that he did not have a mid-section that was re-enforced to be tapped for a pipe fitting. I wasn't aware the section he substitued wasn't reinforced for a pipe fitting. So in essence he did what he wanted to without communicating.
salmansarmast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: websites Reply with quote

hi could any of you please let me know the website of Then& Now
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.then-now.com/

whydahdvr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better late than never.
I had my vacuum fuel pump rebuilt by Then and Now in August. It was a mess inside and they did a great job cleaning it up, polishing the outside, and making it work right.
Once installed my jeep ran like never before - no surging, no idle issues, beautiful. They did a great job and I will definitely use them again.
jerry72

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Debellas Reply with quote

Called Peter at DeBellas today about sending in my m38 fuel/vac. pump. I asked him about the mods to his rebuilt pumps and he did not know what I was talking about, except for the newer diaphrams for the ethanol in the gas nowadays. Not feeling very secure with using his services. Any thoughts from you guys?
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter does great work. He's a bit on the gruff and crusty side but good products and advice. That said, if you don't feel comfortable with his assessment of your fuel pump Then and Now do very good work and are who I would recommend - if that works for your shipping price/schedule.
I hope that helps.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because DeBella probably does not rebuild the pumps in his shop. Most likely he farms them out. By using local shops and shops like "Then & Now" you eliminate the middle man, reduce the cost, and deal directly with the horse's mouth.

jerry72

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called then & now and got the right anwswers to my mod. questions. It's nice to speak with professionals that know there business. Will send my pump to them. Thank you guys for the advice.

Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: