Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Electronic ignition??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electronic ignition??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davem201m38

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Electronic ignition?? Reply with quote

Over here a number of vendors are now offering electronic ignition systems for the 24v M38 and other 24 volts systems. I guess these things will have been around much longer your side of the pond.

They are supposed to fit in the distributor and not show from the outside, so I guess it must be something like my old Chevy Straight 6 HEI system??

What do you guys think the advantages (if any) are of fitting one of these.
Obviously the vendors will tell you these are the greatest things since sliced bread.
Like to here your opinions,
all the best,
Dave.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them used on a lot of muscle cars from the 60's era and the work well.

You don't have to change points and you get better ignition reliability.

However, I have been told that if the unit goes out, you have no spark and are out of action. With points, even if they are bad, you will still get some spark.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Are you talking after market civvy pointless ignition?

Notice I said pointless ignition not electronic. Pointless like the pertronics units simply replace the mechanical ignition points with a transistorized electronic or magnetic or inductance switch. These are simply replacing the switching function of the points and do not apply any advance engine controlling found in electronic ignition systems.

The early M151 distributors used a transistorized point replacement system that can be made to work in the other Auto-lite/Prestolite waterproof distributors. The later two types were not compatable with the M38 and M38A1 distributors.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, I am ignorant of the workings of the system,
I shall go and check,
Thanks,
Dave.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
I've cut and pasted the vendor info below, its the magnet spinning in the distributor that (to me) makes it sound something like the old Chevy HEI system and possible still has advance and retard, what do you think??, I did like my old Chevy HEI, never touched it.

With a magnetic type module fitted inside the distributor, there is
no external box, and the only difference you can see from the outside is that there are two low
tension wires going to the distributor instead of one.

We supply a wide range of off-the-shelf kits for most classic and many vintage cars, trucks and military
vehicles. We also customise systems and distributors, including positive earth setups. We also convert
magnetos to battery electronic ignition.
For the ultimate spark, we supply high output coils to go with our electronic distributors.

Orders can be placed by email, telephone or post, and we take debit cards, credit cards and cheques in UK
pounds

Distributors | Home | Alternator Conversions | Electronic Ignition | About us | Ceramic block Sealer |
Lambda sensor bosses | Equipment for sale | Wanted | Battery Chargers | Jeeps | Austin 7

ELECTRONIC IGNITION
CONVERSION FOR YOUR
DISTRIBUTOR
Kits available for most classic and vintage cars,
commercial vehicles, trucks and military vehicles.
ANY VEHICLE ANY AGE 6v, 12v, 24V, POS OR NEG EARTH

· Breakerless ignition.
·Eliminate points and condenser.
·Magnetic system.
·All electronics are inside the distributor -
virtually invisible.
·NO EXTERNAL BOXES
·Never have to adjust or replace points,
more power, less fuel consumption.
·Give your classic vehicle an nippy,
responsive feel.
·Improved starting - particularly effective in
overcoming 6v starting problems.
·Available as an easy-to-fit kit or send us
your distributor.
·Use your existing coil, or for the ultimate
spark, we can supply a high output coil matched
to the electronic kit.
·Full instructions included.
· 2 year guarantee.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they describe is simply a pointless ignition. No electronic control of rpm and advance/retard. These functions would be found in a true electronic ignition where additional sensors for vehicle speed, engine speed and manifold pressure and often exhaust gas temp are needed to deliver the necessary raw data to an electronic processor which then would control many engine operating functions. The use of the word "electronic" in their add is simply a ploy to attract you to their product.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
davem201m38

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum.... Wes,
possibly why I can't get a rresponce to my questions I emailed them.
All the best,
Dave
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all finally got a responce and now I'm totally confused, here it is...

Hi. Thanks for the enquiry. The kit you require is in stock, price £116.39 plus vat. The advance and retard are unaffected. The system is highly reliable, being magnetic rather than optical. You replace the points and condenser with our module, which is mounted on a plate. Our magnet sleeve fits over the points cam. You re-use the existing rotor and cap. Everything fits inside the distributor, so there are no unsightly boxes in the engine bay or wires across the bay. It is virtually invisible - the only thing to see is that there are two wires going to the coil instead of one. Everything is pre-set except the timing, which you set in the usual way, then forget it - never has to be done again. The existing points and condenser can be kept as a backup and re-fitted if required. Orders can be placed by email, phone or post, and payment can be made by switch, credit cards or cheque in £sterling on a UK bank. Thanks for the enquiry, and best regards. Frank Jolley.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to be confused. They have described nothing more than a pointless ignition system. One where the ignition system remains fully functional as original and the only function for their magnetic trigger is to replace the function of the mechanical points.

A truly electronic ignition has a brain/computer/processor that collects operating data from sensors on the engine and then makes changes in the operating characteristics of the engine IE RPM, fuel pressure/sequencing, timing and etc.

116.00 pounds is a lot of money just save you the trouble of cleaning and adjusting your mechanical points every 2,000 or 3,000 to 5,000 miles.

davem201m38

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes,
I was hankering back to my old ex USAF chevys that all had the straight 6 and the HEI ignition, never never ever went wrong, never ever checked it, wonderful simple system.
I'll stick with my points I guess.
Thanks again,
Dave.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the HEI in that case is not a true electronic system. It simply has a rotating magnet instead of points and a very powerfull coil. Hence the title HEI "High Energy Ignition". Still no extra sensors or contolling by processor the engine's operating parameters.

The true electronic engine /ignition management systems out there will cost several times the cost of the simpler point replacement systems in this discusion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: