Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Uncovering markings...(newbie)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uncovering markings...(newbie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myfirstmb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Uncovering markings...(newbie) Reply with quote

I am new to the MV hobbie and this site. I have a thousand questions, but I'll start here. I have a '45 MB (416477, DOD 2/45) and am trying to find some original markings. I have found several layers of paint that can be described as military colors, I just cant tell which ones I should be focusing on. I have been told that there should be some sort of red oxide primer as a first coat, but I took part of the hood to bare metal for reference and have not seen said primer. I have a much darker green (thick coat) than typical OD under a few of the top coats. Could this be significant? Take a look and see if anyone can shed some light. Thank you SO much.

PeteL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert but here a couple of thoughts.

In your photo I'm seeing a layer that looks like blue. My M38A1 had a dark blue topcoat from the Civil Air Patrol, who got the vehicle as surplus. I think Canadian jeeps may also have blue.

Try touch sanding very lightly on the sides of the hood to reveal numerical markings stenciled on.

OD paint has had a number of different versions over the years - light, dark, matt, semi-gloss etc.

Good Luck.
Pete
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete is right. I would be looking more at the OD colors.

OD went through several color shade changes depending on the years of manufacture and service life.

Vehicles were repainted during service life usually at least one or two times and they would use the paint given to them.

They didn't really care if it matched the same shade as the previous coat of paint.
MD55511

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay AWAY from the heavy sandpaper or wire brush you've used!

Try taking very fine wet sandpaper and going through the layers one by one TAKING TIME to stop and look every few minutes or at the slightest hint of a 'difference' which could be a number. Look at them both wet and dry, and with a light in the garage at night. You should be able to get to the numbers IF you don't destroy it first. Once it's gone - it's gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: