Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Gasket sets
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gasket sets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davem201m38

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Gasket sets Reply with quote

Is there any real difference between a 442 MB jeeps gasket set and a 442 MC gasket set.
I ask because this weekend I bought a gasket set that was supposed to be for the M201 (442 MB engine) it was still in its box and the box was still in that thick aluminium fibre foil type sealed bag packing date July 1967, however looking at the military label I see it is actually for the m38 which is fortuitous as I have the top end off the M38 at the moment (how lucky is that!!)
The vendor had simply crossed out the MC ref and addded in pen MB.
Thanks,
Dave.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important gasket to check is the head gasket. The WWII head and the M38 head do not use the same gasket.

What is a 442 engine? Over here that would be a 67 Oldsmobile 442. Or are you referring to a DOM 4/42 engine?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes,
the 441 and 442 might be 'this side of the pond' nomeclature.
For as long as I can remember the Barney Roos designed cam chain engine has been reffered to as the 'Type 441' and the later cog driven cam as a 'Type 442'

I am looking at both my head gaskets, one supplied for my m201 to refill a MB engine gasket set. The other taken out of my M38 MC gasket set.

What differences am I looking for they seem identicle to me. Even to the point that they sre both missing the word 'TOP' on the upward facing face of the gasket.
Thanks,
Dave.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The space on the HEAD between cylinders 2 & 3 is very different between the WWII and later head gaskets. The WWII head must use the A-8558 gasket.

That 441 usually refers to the Willys 441 sedan over hear. If I remember correctly the 441 engine circa 1936 had the round shape of each cylinder visible on the right side of the block. The 442 I believe more closely resembles the L134 used in jeeps. The switch from timing chain to timing gears occurred in July 1946 at about CJ2A engine serial 44417.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes,
this is all news to me, we over here don't have the 'history' and cultural knowledge as the jeep apart from WWII was never a part of our culture. In the 50s the $ to £ ratio meant that we couldn't afford to buy Jeep products and the Land Rover copy was cheaper and easier to run it being built here.

I'm not sure how the 441 Vs 442 catorgarisation came about, but certainly for the 26 years I've been into jeeps we have used it to seperate the chain drive from the gear drive engines, probably a mis-quote in a text book that then became a referance and so on.

The only written ref to this terminology I can lay my hands on at the moment is Pat Wares book page 6 ISBN1-903062-01-02 which uses the 441 / 442 terminology to differentiate the 2 engines.

Obviously a 'this side of the pond' thing'
All the best,
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: