Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 items wanted.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 items wanted.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragnet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: M38A1 items wanted. Reply with quote

Hi guys and gals,

I have a '52 M38A1 and I am looking for the gages and blackout lights for the dash. I do have a speedo and gas gage but neither one works. I did have to clean and coat the inside of my gas tank and the sending unit looked OK but it doesn't work. Do I need a new gage or unit? Also I need a passenger side back light and the piece of metal that is suppose to brace the right side of the passenger seat in back. I saw a pic of it on here, it looks like it goes up on the wheel well (outside). Any body know what part I'm talking about?

I am also looking for a period uniform. Late WWII in to Korea. If anyone has one I would take a large or if you know where I can find anything I would really appreciate any info.

Man I love this website!! Great people and great info. Thanks again and take care.
Smile
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not familiar with the M series government gages then you should review this publication: http://www.willys.i8.com/gbc/milgage.htm

They are very sensitive to grounds. The sender must be grounded securely to the tank. The tank must be grounded securely to the tub. The gage must be grounded securely to the dash cluster and the dash cluster should be grounded securely to the tub.

You can shop the vendors and ebay for the gages and senders. Make sure they match each other. The oil pressure gages and senders come in both 60 PSI and 120 PSI and the sender must match the gage.

You didn't ID your A1 by year. Most came with the metal Douglas connectors. Late 60's came with the rubber Packard connectors. You can substitute the rubber ones on the the early panels with just a little fiddling with connectors.

If you're looking for a quality setup then give Kevin Emdee at Starr Electric a call: kevin.emdee@comcast.net 1-270-877-0813

It sounds as if you do not have a set of manuals yet. They are the best investment you can make in your project. The basic set for your A1 are:
TM 9-804A very early Operator's and maintenance manual
TM 9-8014 the later Operation and maintenance manual.
TM 9-8015-1 Engine and clutch manual
TM 9-8015-2 Power train body & frame.
ORD 9 SNL G-758 Parts manual

Nice to have are:
TM 9-1825B dated 52 or newer Auto-Lite Electrical units
TM 9-1828A Fuel Pumps
TM 9-1826A dated 52 or newer, Carter Carbs

You can get them at Portrayal Press http://www.portrayal.com/

Or for a mere $20 you can get a CD with Basic set for each of the Willys MB, M38, M38A1 and M151 series.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Dragnet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk,

Thanks for all the great info. I did put the year of my A1 on I just must have used the wrong abbreviation for the "19". Anyway she's a 1952 and I did get two manuals before I got started. I got the TM9-8015-1 T019-75B-21 Engine and clutch and the TM 9-8014 T0 36A-1-401 Utility truck and front line ambulance manuals. I used the TM 9-8014 the most and was told to get the parts manual. I like the $20 CD idea because I am already using my 2025 year jeep budget. DOH! Would that have a lot of info I would need? As far as grounding everything do I need some kind of grounding straps or just make sure everything is touching everything else? And would that go for the speedo as well or that a whole other animal?

I will give Kevin a call for sure because over the years whomever have cut then re-run and cut and left hanging more wires than I can count. I have no idea of whats what . I have followed some of whats suppose to be there with my manuals but I'm far from being an electrician and so I was hoping to get a wiring harness next year. I thought that would be the easiest way to get everything right and where it's suppose to go along with being new. Great info wesk, thanks for the reply.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, straps aren't necessary so long as all bare metal to bare metal connections are made between the electrically operated gages the cluster, the dash, the sender securely.

The CD is handy because when you want to compare your A1 wiring, or parts to anothe Willys Military jeep or even the M151 you can do it easily and quickly. Helps a lot when you need a part you can check the other three parts manuals and confirm if it's the same number or not.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: