Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Gas with Oil?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gas with Oil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustenWilson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Gas with Oil? Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I recently bought a 54 m38a1 jeep. and i have a few questions.

1. I have gas in my oil. I'm not sure how this could happen.
2. When I floor the jeep it takes it a awile to reve up.
3. When I try to drive it, it bearly moves. maybe 1.5 miles an hour?
4. My carb has a loud suction noise.
5. My distributor has a vacuum coming in the bottom and one going out, splits and goes to the air filter and to the carb.
6. It takes a good wile for my jeep to start up.
7. On the carb. which is the air and fuel set screws?
8. I have the original unit number to the jeep (still on the hood) 2A3066
U.S. Army. Can i research this and find out information?
9. Where is the governor on my jeep? and how do i adjust it?
10. What can i use to clean up my data plate?
11. What kind of oil do i use?

Engine runs and idles okay. any information would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm 21 years old with NO expirence on vehicles. Just a love for old jeeps. anything is helpful.

regards,

Justen Wilson

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/JustenWilson/Picture007.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/JustenWilson/Picture006.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/JustenWilson/Picture004.jpg

Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justen,

Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak problem. You need to identify where the leaks are coming from. Sounds like the carb area could be one.

Gas in the oil could be the fuel/vacuum pump has a bad diaphram and needs to be rebuilt.
As for the set screws on your carb, it is hard to see, but it looks like you have the civilian solex, which is OK, I think the set screws are on the engine side, but I am not sure.

I don't know that your jeep would have a govenor.

Cleaning the dash data plates: start with soap and water. They are usually made of brass, you can take some brass cleaner to them.

There should be a data plate on the dash with oil requirements for different enviromental temps.

Looks like you a have a good vehicle to start with. I would bet most of your engine problems are the vacuum leak and fuel pump.

Others here with more technical info than I should be along soon to help you out more.
DJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the oil changed ASAP,do not run the motor with gas in the oil !!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. I have gas in my oil. I'm not sure how this could happen.

Number one cause is a bad diaphram in you fuel pump. Just a small hint of a gas smell will usually not blow your oil pan off. We OLD TIMERS used to know how to dilute oil with gas at sub-zero temps to get the darn thing to turn over.

Quote:
2. When I floor the jeep it takes it a awile to reve up.

That could be several things many not even related. First place to look is timing. Make sure centrifugal advance is working. Make sure accelerator pumps is working.

Quote:
3. When I try to drive it, it bearly moves. maybe 1.5 miles an hour?

Check the items under #2 plus check for dragging brakes and slipping clutch.

Quote:
4. My carb has a loud suction noise.

That level of sucking is dependent on ones view of just how much sucking is too much. If you have the crossover pipe off and are standing on the gas pedal then a lot of suck is normal. If you are idling and as soon as you try to accelerate the engine she sucks loudly without a reasonable response then that sucking is abnormal. Check the item 2 items again and check for vacuum leaks and restricted exhaust.

Quote:
5. My distributor has a vacuum coming in the bottom and one going out, splits and goes to the air filter and to the carb.

That's a vent tube on both sides of the distributor. The M38 and M38A1 does not have vacuum advance distributors. That tube should be clear so it can evacuate corrosive and volatile fumes from the enclosed coil and help cool the coil. The line runs to a "T" on the left side of the engine. Make sure that line has a .040 restrictor in it at the "T" so you don't loose too much vacuum.

Quote:
6. It takes a good wile for my jeep to start up.

This generally indicates a tuneup is due. Be sure you're operating it correctly. With a vacuum operated accelerator pump in the carb she must be turning over very quickly and during cold starts the choke must be pulled all the way out for it to work. Pumping the gas pedal does nothing during the initial start sequence.

Quote:
7. On the carb. which is the air and fuel set screws?

There are only 3 adjustments on the YS series carb. Flaot adjustment. Idle mixture adjustment and idle speed. But looking at you photo you have a civilian CJ YF carb installed. Same three adjustments though.

Quote:
8. I have the original unit number to the jeep (still on the hood) 2A3066 U.S. Army. Can i research this and find out information?

The 2A3066 is the Army vehicle registration number. The Army did not maintain records on non-tracked tactical vehicles after they left the Army. The only clues to your jeep's history are in paperwork found with her, finding people who recall the registration number while they were in the servie, carefully wet sanding thru all layers of paint looking for and recording all numbers, letters and words found and then posting them here and asking for any info on them.

Quote:
9. Where is the governor on my jeep? and how do i adjust it?

M38's and M38A1's did not come with governors on them.

Quote:
10. What can i use to clean up my data plate?

The dash plates you must be careful with. Soap and water or 409 and water and scrub with a tooth brush. Then take a small block of wood and wrap a cloth soaked with a little brasso around it and gently clean the raised shiney areas.

Quote:
11. What kind of oil do i use?

Just follow your recommended lubes in your manual. Shocked

Did I mention that no one should own one of these without having at least the 4 basic manuals the Army published for it.

TM 9-8014 Operator's Guide and maintenance manual.
TM 9-8015-1 Engine and clutch manual.
TM 9-8015-2 Powertrain and body manual.
ORD 9 SNL G-758 M38A1 Parts Manual

You can find these on Ebay, at MV shows, or you can buy them in paper form from Portrayal Press http://www.portrayal.com/
or in CD form for $20 from Military Media http://www.military-media.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MMI&Product_Code=JEEPSCD&Category_Code=MVMOC
which is an exceptional deal because you get over 16 manuals because they give the basic set of 4 manuals for each model jeep. WWII MB/GPW, M38, M38A1, and M151.

Once a guy is no longer a newbie we frown on questions which are easily found in one of your 4 manuals! Rolling Eyes

I almost forgot, looks like you're starting with a very solid A1. Except for the Pinnochio side mirror.

Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
m38olddog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site's great technical gurus have already given you all the information and guidance you need to get started, so I just want to chime in and say welcome! Congratulations on having the original hood number. That's a real plus. Mine is 2A3514, so our jeeps are pretty close in time. Good luck and keep posting updates... with pics! Very Happy

Dave
M38A1 2/55, MD81433, U.S. ARMY 2A3514
M100 Dunbar Kapple, ?/51, #15122
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: