Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Transmission Transfer Identification
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transmission Transfer Identification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aforests

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Transmission Transfer Identification Reply with quote

Is there any way to tell if my transmission and transfer case is original to the jeep?

PHOTO ALBUM
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album400&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they aren't.

The transfer shifter housing on the M38 has a pivot bolt with zerk not the pin you see in yours.

You can determine this on your own just by viewing the Parts and Maintenance manuals for the M38.

For the tranny just take a look in your TM 9-1804B Pages 6, 8, 9 & 46.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
aforests

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, I could have looked and figured that out by looking at the useful manuals on the site. Next time I will...

Would there be an advantage of having a M38 transfer case and transmission in this jeep rather than what I have now?

PHOTO ALBUM
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album400&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
southpw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no. I have a M38 trans and tcase and another paired from another vehicle and both fit the same.
The nose cone where trans shifter comes out is different on my 2 transmissions but fitment is same.
southpw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen an opening in the side of the bellhousing like your pic though. Only with the 2 different style top windows in the bellhousing.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it can make a difference. Depends on what you are doing with the jeep. There are three different generations of the D18. The easy way to spot them are by their countershaft diameters. The smaller shafts are weaker cases. Tranny can be an issue as well with ratios. The dual side holed bells are for the civvy Utility vehicles which were built both left and right hand drive.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
aforests

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had time to dig around and find the tranny I pulled out of the jeep 20+ years ago. Cleaned it up as well. Had poured diesel in way back when as it was completely stuck... Unfortunately, it is still stuck!

PHOTO ALBUM
aforests

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the pics I took inside my transmission. Will a transmission and transfer rebuild kit from Midwest work to restore this transmission? I'm confident I can do the work, but not sure if the gears are salvageable. I had filled it with diesel fuel about 20 years ago because it was all seized up...

PHOTO ALBUM
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are for sure looking at some gear replacements. Kit quality and completeness varies between manufacturers, country of origin and distributors. I would suggest you shop and compare before you buy. Try to stay with US built both new and NOS since this will insure a better degree of dimension stability and consistence in metallurgy.

TomM

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Trans Reply with quote

You will need internals. NOS gears in original packaging will be expensive. With careful shopping you can find gears in used but very serviceable condition. If you buy a complete trans/xfr used, assume it needs rebuildingut these can provide gears and shafts. There have been reports of bad offshore gears sold new.
For kits shop around but avoid the usual discount-house selling incomplete offshore kits. I had luck with Novak and their business is drivelines (not tubs, wiring, chrome accessories etc). They answer their phone and return emails as a real US based business should.
aforests

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should I soak this transmission in to help free it up before taking it apart? I was thinking diesel fuel/parts cleaner combination...

What are some other opinions?

PHOTO ALBUM
ChuckW

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATF
Dixie Division MVC #002
1952 M38/M100
M274A2
1964 CJ3B
STXM38A1

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evapo-Rust. Get a couple of gallons and fill it up with this stuff. It will work better if you agitate or slosh it around 2 - 3 times a day. Also, if you're able to begin removing parts, submerge them in it and once or twice a day, inspect, rinse (with water) and brush with a wire "toothbrush" to help remove the rust and residue that is dissolving . Rinsing the parts and brushing them off at intervals really speeds up and improves the process in my experience. Won't help or hurt non-ferrous metals.
http://www.evapo-rust.com/

PHOTO ALBUM:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: