Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - New Member and new owner of '53 M38A1-CDN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Member and new owner of '53 M38A1-CDN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjohle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: New Member and new owner of '53 M38A1-CDN Reply with quote

Hello Everyone - This is my first post of what will probably be many! I have a few questions for all of you knowledgeable folks!

Some background:
I've always wanted a Willys and I found this one for what I would consider a reasonable price given the prices I've seen around here.
1. Its a '53 M38A1 CDN
2. Previous owners changed it to 12 volt and added an electric fuel pump and alternator.
3. Previous owner changed the fuel tank with with something other than what should fit on here. Its fine, but no sending unit for the gauge.
4. Previous owner added a bunch of steel stuff. Heavy duty bumpers, huge roll bar, heavy duty tail gate and some other things.
5. I think one of the owners restored it to almost original, next owner added all of the metal stuff, and the owner before me just used it occasionally and didn't do much to take care of it - particularly the body.
6. Body has bondo on it which is cracking in places. Paint is flaking off in places.
7. Frame is rusty, but no huge pits. I think its sound.
8. Wiring is old and cracked - not the original wiring.
9. Engine continues to run when I turn the ignition switch off. This started after I bought it and after a new switch and lot of research it continues to be a mystery.

So, all of that said, what are the first things a person needs to do when they get one of these? This one runs great. It leaks like a sieve in various places. Need to degrease the chassis to see exactly where the leaks are coming from. I wouldn't expect any less from a vehicle this old and will start with adding some Lucas stop leak to see if that slows down the leaks. Looks like the previous owner didn't do much by way of routine maintenance. I intend to make it look more like an original, but nothing show worthy. It will be a deer hunting rig and I will probably put around town in it when I'm more comfortable with the way it drives. Here's what I've done and/or plan to do in the near future.

1. Downloaded operators manual and parts list. Checked fluid levels (all OK) and lubed the chassis and everything else I could get my grease gun into. I need to buy a flex hose for the gun to get to some of the other stuff.
2. Changed the oil and filter
3. Change lube in diffs, tranny, and transfer case
4. I have a clutch on the way as mine doesn't have much room for play right now; however, I think replacing it is beyond my mechanical skills. It has only slipped when going through a very steep creek bed. When I put it in low it was fine.
5. Inspect and re-pack the wheel bearings.
6. Work on slack in steering. Bought a new bell crank and repair kit as well as a drag link repair kit. Plan to start with this and move back. Will probably go on to the tie rod ends next. (I've not gotten a chance to put it on stands and wobble the wheels, but those ends are loose.)
7. Replace all of the wiring.

Has anyone out there made a hard top for a Willys (regardless of the model) out of wood and if so can you share the plans or any ideas? Mine has a huge roll bar that was installed and since I intend to carry my two little girls around in this thing I intend to keep it but can adjust plans accordingly. I can't afford the soft top at this time.

I will post pics when I get a chance.

Thanks in advance!

Casey
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quite a mouthful, Casey!! I will respond only with welcome
aboard, MERRY CHRISTMAS, and looking forward to following your
progress in the new year!!
Bretto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site!
Looks like you have taken a good assessment of some of the ailments. It should keep you busy for a long while. I have had mine fixed, repaired, etc and running and looking good, at least I think, and I still find work to do on it.

Keep them girls warm and safe....Merry Christmas.

Brett
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Good assessment and the statement of intent is also good, lets us know where you want to go.
Okay maybe just my opinion but stop leak is not a good idea. it can over the long term do some good damage by gumming things up. better to get the seals and gaskets and fix it properly. Takes time and a fair chunk of work. Also these vehicles are fairly notorious for always having a leak somewhere even when new.
cjohle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome! I intended to run the stop leak in it for a little while then go back to straight oil/gear oil. Just wanted to try to condition the seals.

When I was talking to the previous owner before I saw the jeep he said, "Man, this thing doesn't even leak any fluids!" I said, "Well, whats wrong with it???"

As in, how can a 60 year old vehicle not leak fluid? Priceless salesmanship I tell ya.

Merry Christmas to all of you and to all a good night! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: