Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M606A2 / cj5 in Uganda
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M606A2 / cj5 in Uganda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afriglenn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: M606A2 / cj5 in Uganda Reply with quote

Hi all I've just aquired a Canadian built jeep.... right hand drive .... and am planning to restore in stages to somewhere near its military ( I think) specs . Seems it was built in 1966 ... And May have been 24 volt .... No wireing remains but there's a 24 volt fuel gauge !! Ha a clue !! Still at the getting clues stage !! Hopefully I can document the build here though I haven't seen how to post pictures yet ... Do I request an album??
Anyhoo
Hi to everyone and seasons greetings from western Uganda
Glenn [/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn, Here's your Album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album420&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Here's the "How To" sites:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album53&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8670

I don't recall any Canadian built M606 series jeeps. Both the M606 A2 and M606A3 had 12 volt systems for the jeep with a battery tray under the hood for the single 12 volt battery. The A3 had an add-on 24 volt Motorola alternator on the left side of the engine and used the cowl battery box for the two military 2HN 12 volt batteries for the radio electrical supply.

I suspect you have a Canadian UN used M38A1CDN. Post a photo of the dash plates and check the top of the left frame rail behind the bumper for a Canadian Forces Number.

It will look like this:

The dash plate set will look like this one:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Afriglenn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Jeep ID Reply with quote

Hi well yes the UN idea would work it's got a white paint job under the current blue , hasn't got any dash plate set but does have a plate on the engine bay bulkhead , serial number 8305024. 263---h some numbers damaged , above that on the same plate is L3C 83FTE 27095 , its a Toledo plate
I'll check the frame now ...
I'm using an I pad and the " add photo" didn't link me to anything , I'll try later using my MacBook
Thanks for the swift reply , I'm just itching to strip the thing down and get started but experience has shown me the first three things to do with any rebuild are .." Research, research and research "
Glenn
Afriglenn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So finally got some photos up in the album afriglenn , just got to work out the photo in post thing ......sure I've read it somewhere ....still not sure if this beast is 12 or 24 ... If it's a UN vehicle it would have had a radio set ..so 24V?
I'll keep scratching around .[/img]
Afriglenn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just trying a photo post of the rear spring set up............no not working from my iPad perhaps I need to upload all photos to somewhere ....jeez what happened to cut and paste ..
Smile [/img]

You must paste the URL for the desired photo between the [img] (from clicking Img above the first time) and [/img] (from clicking the Img above the second time).

[img] then the url (http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/Uganda/image_008.sized.jpg) of your photo [/img]

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the prefix on your firewall Kaiser ID plate of "8305024" you have a Kaiser built CJ5 built between 1961 and 1970. I need all six following digits to pin point the year but I only see three digits. 262. The 8305 ID's a standard open body CJ5. The 024 indicates Right hand drive & Non-emission F-134.

The lack of the spot welded on cowl battery box cover dates the jeep to late 1968 to 1970.

In all likelihood it's a civvy CJ5 period with right hand drive as part of the export request..

The M606's were produced to 68. When they had a separate 24 volt radio system added that cowl battery box would be cut free and the inner box added for the two 2HN batteries which together with an extra 24V Motorola alternator mounted on a special bracket on the left side of the engine to provide the auxilliary radio electrical system with 24 volts. These jeeps were than named M606A3's and had an M606A3 data plate on the dash. These jeeps still had a stock CJ5 12 volt vehicle electrical system using a 12 v generator mounted on the stock right side mount.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Afriglenn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wes ...well of course it's easy when you say it like that !!!
Thanks for the date info , 12 volt it is then .. Bit confused over the welds on the cowl battery box ??? It hasn't got a battery box that I can see ....iI'll upload a few more pictures in a day or two
Thanks again
Glenn
aforests

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most ipads and mac computers have a setting that doesn't allow 'pop-ups', so you have to go into your settings and change it to allow pop-ups. Then when you go to your photo album and click 'add photo' the pop up will appear and you can upload your photos. (I had to do this for my macbook pro)

PHOTO ALBUM
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album400&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CJ5 tubs thru 1968 all had the opening in the cowl for the two batteries like the M38A1 but they did not have the actual box installed between the dash and the firewall. They did have the raised lid but it was spot welded to the cowl on the CJ5 tubs and was latched or fastened with threaded thumb screw fasteners on the early M38A1 and a hinge bracket and latch on later M38A1's..

This is the cowl battery box cover on the early M38A1 1952-53 with the threaded thumb screws.

This is the late M38A1/M170 cover with the hinge bracket on the Left (US driver's side) and latch on the right (US pass side).

55-68 CJ5, CJ6 and M606A2

Afriglenn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Uganda&id=image_007&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]so is this a 12v or 24 v fuel gauge? So far I have a CJ 5 1968-70 possible ex Un ... I love this forum !! Thanks for the info wes. I'm planning a trip to South Africa to visit the guy with the SA ARMY stocks of spares .. Seems he's really interesting guy and very knowledgable on these jeeps as used in Africa ...can someone let me know if I managed to post a photo of the rear of the fuel gauge.? I'm getting there folks !!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,

If you click on the thumbnail of the photo you want to put in your post the smaller of the two available sizes will open. Then if you right click for the drop down menu and then click on "copy image url" then past that URL between the two [img][/img] that photo will show up. The correct url for the mid-size photo of your gas gauge rear is: http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/Uganda/image_007.sized.jpg

And when I paste this url between the [img][/img]

I get this:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: