Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fuel Pump
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamillerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump Reply with quote

How do you figure out which fuel pump you have. The G740 lists 4 different numbers for an M38 fuel pump. they are seperated by engine serial number and with or without gasket. (different AC part number when the gasket is included with the pump) I emailed Then and Now all the numbers I can find on the pump plus 3 photographs and they said they could not crossmatch any of the numbers I sent them. But then again they also stated that the pump did not appear to have a vacume assist Crying or Very sad Its definatly an M38 pump. I have rebuilt one before using a military rebuild kit but those are almost impossible to find anymore plus the diaphrams probably wouldnt be anygood anyway. Anyone have any ideas on what kind of number to send them or where to find a number on the pump?

Thanks
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very small numbers on the rings at the top and bottom of the pump... did you find those...

Try John Bizal at MWM... he also has kits...
gamillerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one on the top.mine doesnt have any on the bottom. I also found a number on the inside of the lower cover. This evening I found another one hand stamped on the edge of the housing where it mates to the block. I just found this number this evening and emailed them back with some more photos.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume we are referring to this pump:

These pumps evolved thru many changes most of which are internal. The only significant external change is the hand priming lever.

If you sent a photo of a pump like this to Then and Now and they said they didn't see a vacuum section then Then and Now is in serious trouble. I haven't rebuilt a lot of these in the last few years. During the 90's I had no problem rebuilding the several I had with the standard across the parts counter kits

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
gamillerman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the one Wes. And I though I had sent them 3 good photos of the pump. " The pump appears to be a single action" was in the email they sent me back....I had initially forgot to attach the photos to my first email to them...maybe they got mine mixed up with someone elses. I remailed them again last nite with 4 more photos so maybe it will work out this time. I contacted them because old fuel pumps are their main business and I hadnt seen anyone speak ill of them. We'll see what comes back today. I also posted the photos in my gallery
gamillerman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got an answer from Then and Now Automotive on my fuel pump. They do have complete kits available for both the top and bottom of the pump. I though I would also pass along this word of caution from them concerning the priming lever on the M-series vehicles:
One important thing to note about this type of pump- the lever on the front of it is a priming level. It allows you to pull the pump linkage manually to move some fuel into the pump and carb after storage. It does that by a little cam that pushes on the fuel linkage. This feature poses a unique problem- when the lever is left in the wrong place, it will interfere with the free travel of the pump during operation. That either keeps the pump from working, or it leads to wear out of the little eccentric cam. No parts for this priming lever are available- so be careful with the ones you have!
...costs quoted to me by them is $47.50 and $9.50 shipping
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you know why Uncle stop using the hand prime pump.

Is that the total cost for the kit?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
gamillerman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...........for what they say is included:The kit contains the two diaphragm assemblies (fuel or vacuum diaphragm, steel protector plates and pull rod- rivited together), the 10 check valves, 10 check valve gaskets, the pulsator cover gasket, the bowl gasket on the vacuum side, the seals inside the pump, the pin and bushing and rocker arm spring, and the gasket to the block. everything needed to get the pump back in working order.
I figure thats not a bad price considering I paid $20.00 for a military rebuild kit (it was still in a sealed container) a longggggggg time ago. I am going to order it here in a week or so and I will let everyone know how the quality of the parts look and compare to what comes out of the pump. And by the way.....apparently the number they really need off the pump is stamped on the edge of the pump where it goes against the spacer. Mine was stamped in the side facing toward the front of the engine. If you look at my gallery I posted some photos of the pump and its the location of the 9810 number. this is a hand stamped number.not made into the casting
LoboMike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Fuel pump - priming handle Reply with quote

So what is the coorect place to leave the priming pump handle, up or down?

TIA
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to go look at one again. It would go to the direction of least resistance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: