Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Wiper Vacume line for M-38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiper Vacume line for M-38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usma41

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Wiper Vacume line for M-38 Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where the return vacum line for the windsheild wipers ends up at in the engin compartment of a M-38 ?
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vaccume side of thewipers is at the "T" by the manifold...

The air supply side of the wipers is at the air filter, off a "T" on the upper rear of the canister...

Hope this helps...
usma41

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Vacume line for M-38 Reply with quote

Incorrect. any lines going into the air cleaner are for the purpose of venting for fording i.e. Transmission vent and Break master cylender vent. Not to be confused with vacume lines.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air feed line that goes to the passenger side of the wipers, goes down thru the fender, goes to the air filter to ensure that the air powering the wipers is clean... Check your TMs...

TM 9-8012; Page 125; Figure 33; Item A and E for one...

TM 9-8012; Page 125; Para 116c
Quote:
"c. Operations at Right Side of Vehicle.
Note. The key letters noted in parenthesis are in figure 33, except where
otherwise indicated.
(1) Pull windshield wiper hose (A) off windshield wiper vent
line (B) and unscrew vent line nut from tee (E) .
(2) Unscrew nut on master cylinder vent line (F) and remove
line from the connector in tee (E) ."

The Wiper feed and the master cylinder fording line feed off the same point on the air filter...

Please check your TMs... I will admit I am not an expert, but have spent the last three years going thru the TMs to do my restoration...

Hope this helps...
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal is right,

The windshield wipers VENT through the passenger side. The vacuum for the wipers comes from the driver side.

Cool
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must remember the M38 was designed to Ford to a depth equal to the height of it's windshield. Therefore the vent side of the wiper plumbing will have suction coming from the Vacuum pump and it will suck in water unless you seal it's air source from the water.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
usma41

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall seeing a tee on the air filter. There are only two ports on it and one is for a rubber hose. I do recall seeing the rubber hose for the wiper return, but it changes to a hard line behind the air filter. ( in the TM)
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the very important differences between our site and the G503 site is we have a ton of files and photos for your free use in our Articles, Downloads and Photo sections which have their links displayed at the top of each page you view. These assets are Post WWII Willys M jeeps specific.

The answer to your questions can be found right there in the downloads section under http://willysmjeeps.com/downloads/M38.Underwater.Ventilating.System.12.04.pdf

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
m37m38

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

I tried to print this document so I can work on this when I finsh my electrical problem and can not do so. It show up as a protected document without printing rights in Adobe. Is this done for a reason??

Dave
usma41

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it looks like someone put a nut on there with a fitting to take a rubber hose just to get around doing it right. As soon as I find the proper "T" fitting I'll change it out. Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
You are correct. You'll have to ask Ryan or Bob Westerman if they'll allow you password access to print it.

USMA41 glad our data helped you sort it out. It would be nice to put a name with our communication efforts.

BobW

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m37m38 wrote:
Wes,

I tried to print this document so I can work on this when I finsh my electrical problem and can not do so. It show up as a protected document without printing rights in Adobe. Is this done for a reason??

Dave

Hi Dave,

I also have the article posted on my personal web site here...
http://www.cj3a.info/sibling/m38vent/vent.htm
You can print it from there. Remember to click on the link to go to page 2 where the parts database and photos can be accessed.
usma41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Wiper's Reply with quote

USMA41 glad our data helped you sort it out. It would be nice to put a name with our communication efforts.[/quote] FRANK, take a look in the Photo Gallery click number 4
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Frank,
Very good looking M38. Nice to see a glossy finish once in awhile. Nice 13 as well. I just finished removing rotors for a customer's 13 coverted G and trailered it up for his winter run to Florida. Would you know where I can find replacement fasteners for the rotor transport box lid? Is the 41 the class number or year at the Point?

usma41

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Bell 47 rotors Reply with quote

Thats the year I was born there at the Post Hospital. The Bell 47 that is in my picture is no longer in Orlando, after the storms they moved everything to Ga. I was wondering if you or anyone else knows why on a left hand turn will the engine increse in RPM and on a right turn decrese to the point of almost stopping? (Suspect fuel float). As soon as I find out how to post more pic's I will. Some things about my M38, The gloss finnish was originaly semi-gloss which was used by the Military Police. The crome siren is correct and West Point was the only one that used a commercial siren. (I know because they used to chase me and my brothers out of the motor pool at night. (It was also comfirmed by the curator of the West Point Museme) God I wish they had spell check on here LOL Thanks Frank

[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: