Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - water pump mounting bolt broken
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

water pump mounting bolt broken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keats

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: water pump mounting bolt broken Reply with quote

I have a 3B that I use as a plow jeep in the winter. I noted the water pump leaking and decided to change it out. Apon removing the pump, the mounting bolt on the bottom of the pump was noted to be broken off at the block, but apparently for some time as the part that was removed was rusty at the end and the gasket area had filled in with junk. What held the head of the bolt in was the vent and gas lines running under the pump and aganst the bolt head.

Now the problem! Was the pump leaking due to the bolt and the block/pump seal finally giving way, or was the pump shaft seal going as I had originally thought? I can put the new pump on but will the three remaining bolts be enough to hold the seal at the block for some time with some permanent type gasket sealer? Do I have to try to get what remains of the bolt out of the block??I don't need advice on how to remove the broken bolt, just if anyone has run a water pump with three mounting bolts and had no issues. Thanks in advance, Gary
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

A good mechanic should be able to get that bolt out.

That bolt was there for a reason. I would say there is a decent change it could leak without it.

Smile
TOM-R

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS THERE A WEEP HOLE IN THE OLD PUMP UNDER THE BEARING? this will tell you if it was the pump, or is there a rust streak runnin from around where the bolt is?

if you want to try it without that bolt i would use permatex Ultra black or ultra grey adhesive smeared on both sides of the gasket bolt the pump up and leave set for at least 24 hours before adding coolant, the rad cap is low enough presure that it should hold no problem, you may also just be able to lay a nice bead with no gasket and push the pump on but definitly give it time to harden

if this does not work then you will need to remove the bolt(obviously) Very Happy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moet water pumps have just a few bolts to maintain a good fit and seal. The majority of pumps I've encountered over the past 40 years with loose or broken bolts have leaked. You obviously didn't want it to leak so you attempted to change it. Now you know where the leak is from but you don't want to eliminate this leak the most positive way by replacing the broken bolt. This means you now are willing to tolerate a small leak. So if that is what you wish then that is what you should do.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
keats

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you all have just reinforced what I already knew really. All I wanted to do was exchange a water pump!!! Just a bit frustrated what it now has taken to start to get the bolt out, plow lines removed, grill removed, eveything else loosened or removed to make room,etc, etc. Reassembly may go faster. Do it right to first time the best advice for sure. Gary
BobW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to take your time when trying to remove the broken bolt. Most broken bolts can be removed without becoming a major project. The real project starts if you break a drill or ez-out off in the bolt.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,
Take a little time and soak the threaded part of the remaining bolt with a good penetrant and let it sit for a few days resoaking it once or twice a day. Then on the 4th day drill a pilot hole in it and insert the square type remover. If she doesn't break loose easily then apply heat to the block around the bolt and she should pop loose.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: