Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Determing correct Ohm vs Volts for fuel gauge senders
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Determing correct Ohm vs Volts for fuel gauge senders
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thank you Wes. I'm not alone in appreciating what you do here. It must be like herding cats.......

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
Can't let you walk the plank alone. In the process of addressing
the specific question of a 12 volt sender I opened a can of worms.
I wrongly assumed it was germaine, but understand Wes'
point.

I appreciate Wes moving the general discussion to its own
post. Hopefully we can continue to run it down as it has
been asked numerous times.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
Appreciate that! Wes very cordially let us off the short end of the plank. I was just <badly> trying to add that it seems to me that with all the clear schematics available to us on these M38 jeeps and the vehicle being so versatile --- that basic electricity rules like Ohms Law (the relationship of volts, amps, resistance, and watts) might help better understand how things work. That, and a multi-meter, helps me anyway. I learned a long time ago that guessing or experimenting with electricity usually doesn't end well. Obey the Law, or else......

Lately I find myself thinking it'd be cheaper in the long run if I could just pay travel and per diem for a "tech assist visit" from guys like Wes or G740, or many others in this forum <including you> to come to SC for a week or so to jerk the knots out of my 1st ever jeep rookie rope.......Shocked there I go again......that's a topic for a different forum..... Laughing

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

DC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Thanks for the post Reply with quote

Thanks for the post. I have been asking these questions of myself, am a rookie as well, so glad I joined up and can follow. Please post your final outcome. I have an M38a1 that was converted to 12v, and can't afford to bring it fully back, so will stick with the conversion. My gauges are also 24v, so the same delima. I did test the light switch with 12v on the bench, and it works fine. I put together a 12 v power supply so I can test before I ruin the wiring. Anyway, thanks.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC, Keep in mind that the built in circuit breaker in your light switch will not give your light system the same protection it enjoyed under 24 volts. With 12 volts and the wattage/resistance of the 12 volt lamps you have changed the load a great deal. Plan on adding circuit protection in the form of separate fuses or circuit breakers for the various lighting circuits or at least a new properly rated fuse or circuit breaker in wire # 15.

The military went to 24V for several reasons. It meant lighter electric motors and wires. But it also meant increased voltage (read pressure here) to make things turn faster). This was bound to be the case just like the upgrade from 6 to 12 V over the early years. Trouble is as voltage goes up load or amperage/current flow is reduced. Now when you take this backwards and reduce voltage to 12 V then you are increasing the load or amperage/current flow which then requires heavier wires and higher amp rated fuses and circuit breakers. If you are using the military harness then you are in luck a bit as the Army used a much heavier gauge wire then needed. But with circuit protection devices you will have to calculate the new current draw / amperage/ load and select the correct size fuse.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC,
I sent you a PM regarding the light switch and other subjects.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM's really don't help share information with the group which is why most folks came to this forum to start with! Confused

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this was beginning to wander off volts and ohms for gauges
and senders and I was replying to DC with other electrical information
I sent him a pm trying to avoid the last dust up Wes.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why not just tell him here that your going to open a new thread on the light switch? Confused At this point the discussion is still in the 24v to 12 V area.

DC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks both of you for your reply, I can see this site will be extremely helpful in my project. Wes, I planned on installing a modern fuse box and running my circuits through that. The old harness has been farmerized much, and will need to be upgraded anyway. Also, thanks for using water terms as well. "Pressure". I have always thought of electricity as water flow, makes it much simpler for a fre fighter like me to understand. Like I say, wish I could afford to go back to 24v, but out of my budget at this point. If I find some solutions on gauges since that was the original post, I'll try to post that as well.
southpw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the combo Ijust bought. VDO 301-015k
hoping it does the job.

DC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: What about a 24v step-up on the fuel gauge Reply with quote

Thought this could be a KIS option for the original fuel gauge question. I have found a step-up converter that will convert 12v to 24v, usually in various amp ranges. If you know the amperage input for the fuel gauge, then a step-up converter could conceivably give you the 24v you need to run the gauge. I think I saw a 2 amp converter for around $10, and a 10 amp for around $15.
If someone measures that amperage coming to the gauge with 24 volts, that would be good to know.
85jeepcj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that your gas gauge is actually a voltmeter. When 24 volts are applied to a stock 24 volt gauge the meter will read full.

As the fuel level lowers the sender increases resistance, the voltage is decreased causing the gauge reading to drop.

You will not be able to make the stock 24 volt gauge work correctly unless you apply 24 volts,

No tank sender resister will make it work. You would need a stepup power supply, 12v-24

When the tank is full of gas the resistance would be zero. When the tank is empty you would see the highest resistance.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

85cj,
Not to beat a dead horse but the military sender (and maybe others) work the other way. 0 ohms is empty, 30 ohms is full.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://willysmjeeps.com/downloads/MS500040%20SENDER%20FUEL%20TANK.pdf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: