Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - grill turn signal lights
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

grill turn signal lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: grill turn signal lights Reply with quote

I have seen somewhere the amber covers for the front grill blackout lights to convert to turn signals. My question is where do you get these? Also with only one wire coming out of that light do you just have turn signals and no parking lights? (my jeep has the civilian style light switch hooked up to it for now)
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vendors sell the amber lens kit. You have several options. You can leave the jeep with it's odd modified wiring system and just add a civvy turnsignal switch and wire the front lite for turn signal only or install dual contact sockets in them and add the turn signal wiring to the bright terminal and keep the park light function. You could also restore the stock 24 volt system and add the military turn signal add-on kit.

Make your decision on which way to go and let us know then we can help with specific wiring.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. As I have stated before, I am going to have to leave the civilian system in for now because of finances. I did not get any 24V electricals when I got the jeep. For now I am going to build a harness similar to the cj3a harness.

I think I will go with the turn signals without the park lights. One of these days I will start collecting 24V items and store them untill I can fully return the jeep to original. For now I will be satisfied to have a close to original outward appearance. As long as I dont pop the hood in front of a purist most people wont be able to tell the difference Wink

I know the arguments for keeping these things original and I agree. I have "debubbad" most of the things on this jeep. The way I have elected to refurbish this jeep leaves me with the option of unbolting a few cj items and putting the military items on at a later date. Im very close to getting everything together! After duck season im taking all of the unpainted parts and the jeep up to work where the shop has heaters and paint. Im to the point now that untill I get it painted I cant do much else. I have slacked off on posting pictures but I hope to have some good ones up within a few weeks Very Happy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post wasn't intended to spark the stock resto vs modified issue. Just wanted to know for sure which approach you want to take now so I can provide a more detailed answer to your original post.

At this point then you will be 6 volt CJ3A but we still need to know what type switch you will be buying and which way you want to use the front lamps (single or dual filament). I would convert the lamp sockets of the marker lamps to two filament sockets and put the amber lens on. I would then install two left side rear lamp assemblies or better yet the late full red lens Gama Goat rear lamps which will have the extra wire and lamp filament available for the rear turn lamps. Then purchase a Sparton turn signal switch and follow the wiring directions.

Here's some good stuff from the 3A board.

Here's the amber lens option: http://saturnsurplus.com/lights/upgrade.htm

The Gama Goat full red lens tail light: http://saturnsurplus.com/lights/newred.htm

Or you could leave your original parking lamps alone and add these M151 single filament units by bolting them with a small angle bracket to a radiator bolt on each side just under the top of the fenders.

http://saturnsurplus.com/lights/5887.htm

The Signal Stat 900 series Turn signal switch is all you need to get started:
http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Tech/SignalWiring.html

You can find these at auto-parts stores and on Ebay.,

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would I do to convert the sockets to hold dual element lights? I would rather do that than have another set of lights under the fenders.

Has anyone done this conversion to dual element sockets have any suggestions?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove a parking/BO Marker light assembly. Open it up. Take the lamp socket to your local auto parts store and have them look up a replacement dual contact socket.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: