Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Another Carburator Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Carburator Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Another Carburator Problem Reply with quote

I have gotten mm M-38 jeep running and it starts and runs very well, however, it will only run smoothly on about 1/4 to 1/2 choke. As I would expect it needs a bit more choke when the engine is cold and the amount of choke required is reduced when it gets hot, however, it never gets to the point of not needing to be choked.

Assuming that I have a vacuum leak, I have disconnected and plugged all of the vacume ports and that doesn't make any difference. \

Thanks for the help.

Steve H
m-38 52-61702
[img]http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/Albums/SteveH/IMG_1192.sized.jpg[img][/img][/url]

Last edited by steveh on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
oreo3156

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you have your float height set correctly.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needing the choke partially closed when the engine is hot to ensure a smooth idle means you are short fuel and long on air. Do the propane check for induction leaks first. If no induction (Vacuum) leaks then it looks like you're short on fuel. This could be a plugged idle circuit or a low float setting.

M38's need the proper carb base insulator gasket with the metal V device which improves low speed fuel atomization. I noticed the new kits from AJP and MWM only have the 1A65 thick base gasket (plain).

The insulator is WO# A923, ORD # 7372543

When this is installed (goes in Metal V down) do not use the thick 1A65 gasket but use the 121-137 thin gasket between the carb flange and the insulator.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
usma41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing with mine. I have found that this is very normal. We have a member that has about 40 different vehicles (14 which are jeeps) and he always pulls the choke out a bit on whichever one he's driving and we'er in Florida.
steveh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I would have never found the gasket problem. The gasket that came with the kit did not have the metal flange. I will get one. Thanks.

I am not familiar with the propane test. I am interested in trying it. Could give me some info on it or where I can find the info?

I really appreciate all of your help.

Steve H
M-38 52-61702
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a pressurized flammable gas like propane or ether or even spray oil like WD40 you spray it while the engine is idling at areas known to be prone to vacuum leaks like the carb base area, the intake manifold, vacuum plumbing and etc. If you notice a sudden rise in engine RPM that indicates a vacuum leak in that area.

Be very careful with this procedure.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: