Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - New wiring harness - what comes with it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New wiring harness - what comes with it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davistroy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: New wiring harness - what comes with it? Reply with quote

Sincee all of the wiring on my jeep is original (54 yrs old), I am thinking about replacing it all. What comes with a new wiring harness if I buy one, or maybe it's easier to describe what does NOT come with it.

Ex. battery cables? gen to reg cable?

Also, if I opt for the turn signal option, what extra stuff do I need to go with that to do a turn signal install?

Thanks!
G740

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Harness Reply with quote

Kits include all wires on the jeep except for wires coming out of any light. Those are part of the light, not the harness. No kit comes with generator to regulator cable. The right kit will include metal shell connections on all points except those needed if you opt for the turn signals. No switches are included. No interlinks, either 1-1 or 2-1 are included. If you buy a kit with turn signals, you will need to have a second left hand tail light, and two lens conversion kits for the front marker lights. The rest is done in the kit.
John Bizal
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, if I opt for the turn signal option, what extra stuff do I need to go with that to do a turn signal install?

The M series turn signal kit which will include the stalk switch, electronic flasher, and instructions. John should have a few of those laying on the shelf.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
thomasarnold

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Davistroy,

The original wiring harness on my Jeep was as good as gone so I had no choice as to replace the whole wiring. A few weeks ago, I purchased a new wiring harness for my M38 from Midwest Military (John Bizal). The harness arrived very fast and even included a booklet explaining all the different connections by number as well as a complete wiring chart.

I am very satisfied with this new harness. It sure beats wasting hours and days trying to trace some corroded or otherwise faulty wire. And while this harness was not cheap, the price is very well justified when examining the quality and man hours that went into building it. If you put a lot of work into restoring one of these old vehicles, you might as well do it the right way.
steveh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo the above comments and throw out the name of Vintage Wiring of Main. I recently bought a set for my m-38 and was verry pleased with the communication, the booklet that came with it and the ultra fast delivery. Great folks to work with.

Steve H
M38 52-61702
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be in Maine, the week of 17 March (Visiting my Parents) and I am going to make a side trip to Vintage Wiring of Maine... I got my harness from them and they customized it for my M-38 CDN... Extra wires needed for some extras the Canadians put on...

Will try to post some photos when I get back...
easters17

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
I can get a new wiring harnes here in the UK that fits a WW2 jeep for a good price, my question is will it fit my 1953/4 M38A1, they have the same stuff etc so I thought I would ask the question on here, would like to hear what you think please

Visit HMVF TV, the only Historic Military Vehicle Video site on the web. http://www.hmvftv.com
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert, however I believe it will be close but all the connections will be terminal lug type as opposed to Douglas or Packard connectors used on the later jeeps...

Most all of the connectors used on the M-38 where Douglas... The M-38A1 started with Douglas connectors and later went to packards...

So you will have to change most, if not all connectors out... It woulkd be a good starting point though...

Hope this helps...
G740

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: WWII vs M series Reply with quote

These are totally not interchangeable. You should not waste your time or money trying to make this work.
John
www.midwestmil.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John is right on here. The WWII harness has wire gauged for 6 volt which is in most cases much heavier then you need. The WWII harness does not have any wiring for the M38A1's electrical gauge senders. Voltage regulator and generator wiring on the M38A1 is the shielded waterproof stuff that you will have an extremely tough time adapting the WWII Harness to. The time and materials spent on converting a WWII harnes for use on an stock M38 or M38A1 would exceed the cost of the correct harness.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
easters17

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cheers for the replies

Visit HMVF TV, the only Historic Military Vehicle Video site on the web. http://www.hmvftv.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: