Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Help to ident bumper #'s
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help to ident bumper #'s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
highland62

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Help to ident bumper #'s Reply with quote

Can anyone help identify what these #'s are . I bought this '52 M38 partly restored and did not get to see this before it was sanded and repainted

usma41

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first part looks to me like Michigan/Main National Guard
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like :

MNG 212.I A 3 BN HQ

There are also a set of numbers and letters beneath this set.

Maybe Manitoba NG 212 Infantry A company 3rd Battalion Headquarters

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
highland62

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: bumper #'s Reply with quote

Wes, it must come from years of looking at Jeep's because I couldn't get half of what you seen,Wow. Does all that mean anything to you? When I bought this Jeep I was told that it is American on the word of the previous owners and because of the word Jeep on the front of the tool box , apparently the Canadian one's did not have that? does this make sense? The other thing that I am hoping is that when I sand the layer of yellow off the hood I am going to find numbers !All this is new to me , this is my second restoration but the first one was my '47- 2A and all I know about M38 numbers is what I have been able to read on line. Are there any other ares that I should pay closer attention to incase of hidden #'s when I am stripping the rest of the tub?
I don't know the Sin # there are no data plates
# on body tag behind pass seat 61887
Eng Sin #MC 86224
Thanks Dan , also thanks to the other post.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not count the Jeep script out on Canadian M-38s... Mine had it before I started my restoral... I kept the tool box to save that piece of metal...

Also the Canadian M-38s had their CAR numbers stamped into the Drivers side front frame rail behind the bumper (top of rail)...

With you being in NS, I wuild say you have a M-38 that used to belong to the Maine National Guard... you might give them a call and ask about the numbers...

Hope this helps...
usma41

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that any Jeep made in Canada had it's engine painted gray.
highland62

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: bumper #'s Reply with quote

Thanks for the though on the Maine Natonial Gaurd, That would make sense because the owner before the gentleman that I got it from was in New Brunswick very close to the border.
My friend has '52 CDN M38 and his does have the numbers stamped in the top of the frame just behind the bumper,mine does not.
Any ideas on how to contact the National Gaurd?
As far as the other post about the engines in the Canadian Jeeps being Gray , I was told by a guy who restores them that after they were rebuilt they were then painted Gray.
Thanks again for the Info Dan
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CDN's did not have the Willys patent plate with the MC serial number behind the passenger's seat like yours. You have a US built MC61887, date of delivery April 1952, your hood registration number would be in the 20909XXX range. Now that you have made it quite clear it is not a M38CDN then the bumper markings would indicate a US state's national guard unit. Due to location the guess that it may be Maine is very possible. The engine serail MC86224 may very well be original to the jeep.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
highland62

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Bumper #'s Reply with quote

Wes, thanks for the information. i sent an E-Mail this morning to the Maine National Guard web site looking for related Info, I'll let you know if I have any luck...TKS Dan
cmpman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with highland62 about the engine colours. Having installed dozens of Cdn military Jeep engines while in service, I can tell you that the grey was a rebuild colour. It was uncommon to see a Jeep with the origoinal engines in them, since we kept the vehicles in service so many years, that the majority had the engines replaced at least once.
The service life of the Canadian Willys engines were only about 25,000 to 35,000 miles. This was true of both the flathead and Fhead engines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: