Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Project Salty
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Salty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I can repair this. There is just a lot of work in it.
time to put together a list of patch panels....

Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054

Last edited by CoastieReid on Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panel replacement will be much simpler if you avoid offshore import panels. I would suggest sticking to US made panels either with Midwest Military in Prior Lake, MN or Classic Enterprises in Rice Lake, WI.

https://store.midwestmilitary.com/category-s/1477.htm
https://www.classicent.com/jeep/mb-cj2a-3a-3b-m38

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I rebuilt my M38 body one of the biggest problems was the front floor board and firewall and hat channels. I was able to buy a complete NOS floorboard, firewall, hat channel panel that fit in perfectly and also fit perfectly with the Classic Enterprises and some Midwest Military stuff like the lower cowls and cowl supports.
Brent Mullins has several of these NOS floor board, firewall hat channel replacements and also has the floorboard hat channel NOS panels that would attach to a current firewall. They cost but compared to a body they are still cheap if you can do the fitting and welding.
If you go to my photo gallery you will see pictures of the parts I am talking about. My body was bad but from your pictures yours is worse. But if you can revive it or find a better one to rebuild you will probably still be better off than trying to put a MD Juan body on.
If you are looking for a body that might be in better shape I think I know of one here in Texas that was available a few years ago. If you are interested let me know and I will attempt to contact the guy who had it.
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I took a look at the photos. My M38 body is worse off I think.

I sent a contact request to mullins about a floor section. we shall see. if they dont, i will still be looking for a body tub, but i am planning on making a big purchase of panels from CE. (like 2500)

I am sailing on a deployment again in a few weeks. I wont be back till May so I will have a bit of money saved up by then to make that purchase.
I still need to get to my 63 F100 points and get that truck running.

I am moving my flatbed trailer to the base long term lot in a week finally. I have waited 2 years for a parking spot. (but then again,,,, I went the last two almost three years with it in my driveway and it didnt cost me a penny)
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

April,
Just FYI, a lot of these suppliers don't respond to email and sometimes don't return messages left on their phones. Don't know if it is too busy, living in the past century or just the way it is but my experience with Mullins is if you want to find if he has something or a price you have to call.

I know it is a pain but some of these guys are, like Mullins, honest and good to do business with, but they have stuff few others have so sometimes it is worth the call.
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Roughneck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have my m38 tub which is in much better shape than yours and your welcome to come look at it and i can get you pictures if you want and im located in springfield massachusetts
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stood overnight duty on the ship. Came home tonight and see my suspension parts and brake parts came in, actually they got delivered to my neighbor by accident..... must be a rookie UPS driver.

I wear safety toe boots at work.. for like 21 years.... and you know what dumb dumb thing I just did? Wearing my sneakers in the garage and went to move the leaf springs and picked one up.... it slipped and landed on my right foot right at my big toe. Shocked that hurt.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054

Last edited by CoastieReid on Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:12 am; edited 2 times in total
jnissen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Determined which way your going with the tub? Our MD tub was swiss cheese as well and after adding up all the patch panels, factoring in time to clean up and weld in the replacements to only be left with marginal metal in the remaining places we bit the bullet on a tub kit. At least for the MD there were several areas that needed to be massaged but overall it's significantly easier to fix those flaws then trying to erase 70+ years of corrosion.

Not saying you can't fix the tub but if you are looking to go nut and bolt accurate, by all means keep the tub and try to repair. If on the other hand you want to have a reasonable cost in the rebuild then do the math and add in all the materials you will use. Rust preventative, welding supplies, etc... don't come for free. The economics were clear for us.

BTW - If you are looking for a 100% accurate final product it helps to buy a 99% accurate Jeep up front! That's true if it's a muscle car or an old Willy's.
RonD2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi April,
See this one back on the market. I heard that the seller was hard over on the price but this time has the "make offer" button activated. Looks very original.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Willys-M38-Original-Military-Jeep-Barn-Find-papers-/323940842967

You're in Yorktown VA, this one is in York SC (6 hours, 380 miles away). Serendipity?

It's easy to spend OPM ! Smile Good luck!

Chief Warrant Officer is a great rank! Enjoy! I was one (USMC) many moons ago.

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

CoastieReid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonD Lol... my money is being well spent on paying off my debt before retirement.

I saw that posting on a craigslist and something doesn’t seem right.
For one, I paid 1/4 of that for the Jeep I have.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on ya!

Yes, It's sure not worth the $4500 he's asking --- he's proud of it. He could likely part it out easily for that much. I still consider offering $2000 - $2500 to get a second project with the rare opportunity to study one that's mostly unmolested. My problem is nowhere to store it.

I was just thinking if he'd take an offer for that much the body alone could save you a ton of labor for about the equivalent cost to buy all those new panels you're going to order.

Not many on this forum will admit what you might already know about restoring the M38? That is, by the time you're done you'll have long ago stopped counting the money because if you didn't you'd be shocked. I know I'll never get out of mine what dollars I put into it, and not even counting my labor at 25 cents an hour. Doesn't make sense sometimes. Good thing I do it for the love and not money.

Good luck! Very Happy

--- Enzo Ferrari

CoastieReid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly know the expense. I’m probably $17,000 into my $1,000 truck since November 2012.

Deleted due to improper use of forum for photos of non-M38 vehicle.

You can see the Ford on Coastiereid on YouTube.

My apologies.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054

Last edited by CoastieReid on Sun May 24, 2020 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Would like to see the other photos, but the forum police might bust me for asking one too many question about a Ford.... Shocked Laughing

In my youth (when I was 10) my Dad bought a brand spanking new 1965 F100 long bed, 390cuin and three on the tree. One of my Saturday chores was washing it. Many fond memories growing up at Fort Benning. Sure would be nice to have it today.

--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting about Fords, not related to the Willys M Jeeps we drive and restore, can more farely be shared in a Ford on line discussion group or in private emails. I wouldn't just keep prodding the moderators on this free for you to use web site dedicated to Willys M Jeeps and paid for by management. Both of us run our own businesses, and "time is money", and would really like to avoid this petty corrections and regulating game with our members which takes time away from our own businesses and our ability to keep this web site up and running for all the other members that have no difficulty following the site rules.

A simple PM to the poster would probably have gotten you a link to more Ford photos.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes is right,

But I do like the photos of your pickup too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 3 of 42

Jump to: