Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Towing Advise Needed...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Towing Advise Needed...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Towing Advise Needed... Reply with quote

I am trying to figure on how to get my M-38CDN and M-100 trailer to Little Rock from OKC... I do not own a trailer (I can rent a 16' or 18' car trailer from the Base MWR) and my towing vehicle is a '98 Astro van...

I have rented a trailer (16') from the base in the past and used the Astro to tow the jeep to MO, but adding the trailer weight causes concerns... Main problem is rear axle springs on the Astro, they are crap, bottom out to much... Thinking of helper springs ...

Any suggestions...
gamillerman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal; I think you will run into weight problems with both on a trailer and and a Chevy Astro van. If the 16 Ft. trailer you have in mind is anything like U-Hauls double axel car haulers those trailers by themselves are heavy........although the Astro would probably tow the rig it wouldn't be unsafe. I own a Chevy Astro and wouldnt attempt it.
52_M38

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I picked up my Jeep (11 hours away). I used an auto transport from UHaul which as someone else mentioned are heavy. The trailer and the Jeep combined was too much for my towing vehicle so I rented a UHaul truck too (to tow the whole mess). This ended up being more expensive, but better in the long run when you consider wear and tear own your private vehicle. You can beat the crap out of the UHaul without fear of an expensive repair down the road.

Good Luck.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal,
Rent a 26 foot Uhaul van and carry it all inside. You can even use the van for a camper while you're there. There will even be lots of room for new spare parts that you buy while you're there. Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
gamillerman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes's idea of a 26' U-Haul is an excellent Idea..both a camper and a vehicle hauler. You might also consider a car dolly......I used one to tow mine back from northern Va. when I purchased it. You have to disconnect the rear drive shaft but other than that it was a very easy tow and rode very well hooked up like that for the 500+ miles towing it back home. The only concern I had was the rear end seal leaking (the jeep had sat in a barn for 8-10 yrs.) but I kept checking it and never lost a drop.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my transportation problems have been solved (Unless gasoline gets too high ) 2005 Chevy Extended cab w/Tow package was purchased...

I made my reservations to stay at the Rodeway Inn & Suites, 2401 W. 65th St, Little Rock, AR; today... (Doubletree was booked solid)

Anyone else attending??? If so, post where you are staying so we may meet up and have a face to face meeting...

This will be my first MVPA convention and I will arrive Wednesday afternoon and leave Sunday Morning... I am bringing my M-38CDN and M-100 Trailer...

Hope to meet you there...
Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Hal,
Can't wait to see your vehicle. We're only able to
get there for one night, and are staying at the Peabody
Hotel Friday night, attending the convention on Saturday.
Call me at 479 474-9727 here in Van Buren if you need
any help between Vian, Oklahoma, and Ozark, Arkansas,
going or coming. "Situations" precluded my original plan
to have the M38 at Little Rock. You can see it on my web
page:
http://home.earthlink.net~starbird1942/
on the last page.

Jim in Darkest Arkansas
Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal, OOPS! The correct URL is

http://home.earthlink.net/~starbird1942/

Sorry about that...

Jim in Darkest Arkansas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: