Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - What branch of service? my M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What branch of service? my M38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucky

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: What branch of service? my M38 Reply with quote

I ve seen pictures of "original" M38 jeeps, Deep olive drab green with stenciled numbers and stars on hood and quarter panels. Mine however is somewhat diffrent. My M38 ser.32242 is a much lighter olive drab green.( I cant post pictures). It has had 2 coats of paint,neither of those are the deep olive green like the others. Both are lighter in color. I sanded lightly for numbers,I found traces of white but nothing I could read. My stars on hood and quarter panels are both in good shape. The hood star however is right side up if viewed from the front bumper. My front bumper is the only letters that are readable reading VP4 on the passenger side and HQ 7 on the drivers side,Both stenciled, and a small star in the center of the bumper. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Thanks Bucky
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bucky,
The M38 as it left the Willys Factory was OD 2430. This is quite a bit lighter and more grayis than the very brownish OD 24087 the Army introduced about 1953. Even then as M38A1 production swung into full go Willys still painted them OD 2430.

On the left is 2430 and on the right 24087.

These are brand new NOS fording kit parts that were sealed in waxed bags in a January 53 crate that I photographed in direct sunlight the day I opened the crate two summers ago.

The front portion of this M38 is 2430.

This M38A1 is painted 24087

Generally if the "Responsible Agency Plate" (lower left in dash plate set) says Ordnance then it is usually Army but can be a USAF transfer or even a USMC late transfer. Most USMC will have USMC or US Navy. I have never seen an M38 with USAF in the "Responsible Agency Plate" but I have seen many with a seperate USAF added plate "Property of US Air Force".

VP4 is an organization ID I am not familiar with for the US Army. Some Navy and USMC aviation units had VP prefixes in which the P represented a Patrol Air Wing or Squadron. The HQ 7 means the vehicle was assigned to the Headquarters of the unit ID'd by VP4 and it was the 7th vehicle in the order of march for that HQ.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bubagun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two US M38's. One (the earliest) is a 1950, the second is a 1952. Both were painted with 2430 originally. I found THAT color under the data plates and under the top mounting brackets mounted on the tub. I have received a ton a grief from MANY other collectors for NOT painting them both 24087. Seems like many fellows remember seeing 'them" painted THAT color....which is prob true because Uncle Sam had his "boys" brush painting everything, every couple of years with the "current standard" color. Many Vietnam vets remember 24087........so EVERYTHING "should" be "that" color.

The "argument" continues...apparantly.

One of my buds is just finishing a very complete restoration on his 1953 Dodge M37 Cargo. He painted it 2430. THAT, again, was the color found under the various brackets and plates,etc.

Showing, HIS truck's pictures, to a couple of guys up in Findley a couple weeks or so ago... at the "Flag Day" celebration and MV show...a couple of the "Dodge Boys" were saying: "nice truck....why did you paint it the wrong color?"

Again.......WTF.....over?

I maintain that these M series trucks were painted WHATEVER color the manufacturer was using..(well, 24087 vs 2430, anyway).. and that you "found" examples of....the "build colors" under ledges,plates and brackets.

Not so?
bucky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, From the pictures my jeep is 2430,even under the dash plates. Also hand painted. I suppose the base color could be 24807 it shows through on the fender next to the steering gear (where a brush wouldnt fit). I will get back to you on the dash plate. Thanks Bucky
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first coat of semigloss on any M38 was 2430 PERIOD. 24087 is a paint applied to M38's in the field by the Army. If you are doing a factory resto you need 2430 OD which is more greenish-gray then the much darker Greenish-brown 24087.

I get a kick out of the 50/60's Dodge boys when they don't even realize that 24087 didn't show up as a federal spec color until 1954. What color do they think Dodge used on the rest of the earlier M37's??? Same as everyone else did, they used their left over late WWII OD which was then called federal spec OD 2430.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
usma41

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also an after thought, all Military Police vehicle's where simi gloss (2430) and stayed that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: